The biggest problem I have with the watch - presbyopia

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gowanis, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

Presbyopia is a common vision problem that starts to hit people around age 40. Basically, I'm near sighted, have perfect close vision, but when I'm wearing distance glasses or contacts, my close vision is disrupted. You can lift your glasses to look at your watch, or even more inconvenient, put on readers on top of the contact lenses. Sorta kills the enjoyment of doing a quick glance at the watch to get info.

I suppose I'll be using the largest text options.

2. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

3. BD1 macrumors 6502

I turned on largest fonts and bold text. It helped.

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

My mom uses one contact for distance and another for close. You could probably just put in one and leave the other out if you don't need reading correction - my mom LOVES this, but it took her months to adjust. Now, the proper eye automatically focuses depending on whether she's trying to view distance or up close.

Also, in case you are worried about the long term effects, she's been doing this for probably 15 years.

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I'm in the same boat. I raise and lower my glasses a lot already. You'll get use to it.

The watch is far enough away from my eyes that it hasn't been a issue for me with the watch.

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I've heard about this option, sounds totally insane (no offense!)

----------

Problem is, I generally wear contacts on not glasses, so I find myself putting reader glasses on every time I look at my iPhone. I'm going to try the large and bold text as suggested.

7. sherri0868 macrumors newbie

Well I have that problem with any watch and even my iPhone 6+. I have cheap reading glasses sitting all around my house and work. I just grab a pair of readers whenever I look at my phone, watch or need to read anything at work. I am actually looking forward to the extra large font watch face because I'll not need to grab reading glasses to see the time on the  watch.

It's hell getting old.

8. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I'm the opposite, I have superior vision up close, like a magnifier:D I would like smaller text to fit more on the screen.

9. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not the opposite; My close vision is also perfect. Its only when you're wearing glasses for distance that you can no longer see up close.

10. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Not as insane as the people who get LASIK to mimic one long and one close contact! Also... she'll be able to read the Apple Watch without changing the font size. :D

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Exactly, I basically have a +1.5 reading glasses close vision but need the glasses more for 18inches or so on out.

Basically you're borderline bifocal time.

12. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Progressive lenses solved this problem for me years ago.