'The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth' Finally Comes to iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular roguelike shooter The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is finally available on iOS devices. The highly-anticipated game was originally supposed to come out in early 2016, but its dark themes caused it to be rejected by Apple.

Based on a Flash game first released in 2012, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has been available on Macs, PCs, and consoles since 2014. The game was inspired by a biblical tale, and the main character, Isaac, escapes from his evil mother and battles through a series of procedurally generated dungeons.

Gameplay wise, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is a dual stick shooter with virtual controls and support for Made for iPhone game controllers. The game features more than 500 hours of gameplay, over 450 items to find, two-player local co-op, 20 challenge runs, and more.

[​IMG]
    Our sister site TouchArcade shared some tidbits on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth this morning, noting that an Apple TV version of the game is coming in the future. The iOS version and Apple TV versions of the game will be the same, so gamers who purchase it today will later be able to play it on the Apple TV.

In regard to the $14.99 price tag, the game's developer, Tyrone Rodriguez, says there will be no pricing fluctuations or sales. "The price will not change, a month from now or a year from now," he said.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth' Finally Comes to iOS Devices

2. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Looking at the embedded Youtube video I won't even pick this up if it were $0.99. Am I missing something here?

3. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Yeah, you are missing the NSFW tag that should have accompanied that "trailer" video. Holy mother of biscuits and gravy, that was some messed up stuff. What kind of dope are those guys on, and why aren't they sharing?

4. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

What's up with the video? Low budget? it doesn't help at all to promote the game.

5. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

This game is actually amazing. Trailer is weird and the theme sounds weird. But I've played it for years it's fantastic.

6. Koudspeel macrumors member

I'm so glad that this finally comes to iOS! I've put so many hours in this game on PC already, time to gain a few more hours on my iPad mini :D

7. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

It's an art house roguelike Zelda-ish twin stick shooter that comments on what it's like to be a child growing up in a Christian fundamentalist household yap yap derp.

8. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

The Binding of Isaac really should be up my alley. I like roguelites, I like twin sticks, I like Zelda, I like weird messed up stuff involving lots of gore. Have never been able to get over that art style though, as totally inconsequential and stupid of a reason that is. Unfortunately for $15 I'm not about to try again. Maybe for $5.

9. BaccaBossMC macrumors member

BaccaBossMC

I think 'inspired by a biblical tale' is a little...... wrong.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

11. ArtOfWarfare, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

When are we getting Super Meat Boy for iOS?

As for the uh... "trailer" for this... what? I'm about as familiar as you could be with this game without having played it, and this doesn't seem representative of the game at all. It deals with controversial themes, but there's no need for the trailer to be 80% naked people having satanic dances.

12. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Mitch Hedberg:

I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, Mitch, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

13. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

Is that bizarre video part of the game in any way, or purely promotional?

14. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Thought I'd see more people complaining about the idea of paying for an iOS game. Then I saw the price and expected heart attacks in the comments!

15. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

Matt, this video should absolutely be marked with a NSFW warning. I appreciated you sharing it on the site, but I would not have dug it if my boss had been standing over my shoulder when I watched it.

16. iMerik macrumors 6502

That video is a complete turnoff for the game. The censored nudity doesn't bother me... the video was just crap. Who are they targeting with it? Please tell me it's an inside joke of sorts that will please the fans.

17. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

It's evil bad sex stuff, which factors into the theme of the game.

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not likely to play this on my phone, but put it on AppleTV, and I'm almost certainly going to buy it.

Some games seem to just inherently lend themselves to one format or the other, and this one, for me, feels a lot more like a "TV and couch" game.

19. Rafagon macrumors regular

Rafagon

Wow. That was so Mulholland Drive meets Saw.

Both great films, but I’m not paying $15 for this app.

20. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

Oh stop it yawl with that "NSFW TAG" "WHAT DID I SEE!?" "WYDT!?"
    You've seen worse on HBO and i can't imagine you complaning about that. In fact, people usually loves discussing that at work and i've lived it so gimme a break.

But yeah: this game's been around for a while. It's crazy, nasty, excentric and exaggerated in every piece of media (see:video), nasty again (really is) but also very addictive and with a ton of replay value. Not to mention the hundreds of items you can use AND the speculation surrounding its story because no one in hell knows what's going on for sure.

I'd recommend it, you should give it a try. Just not for 14.99, that's crazy

21. Denoloco macrumors newbie

Denoloco

Well, now I will have to be constantly pumped to a power bank. This game is a complete drug guys, don't let the price deceive you, you can have hundreds of hours easily.

22. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I find it a bit funny that something had to be killed at all. ”Here, kill this goat for me instead”. Sounds like something an omnipotent being would need? o_O

But I guess we all know it's a book containing a lot of fiction… ;)

23. Supa_Fly, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

Supa_Fly macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

hello boys and girls ... this is your brain on drugs. Can you spell ACID? I knew you could.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This game is great, imagine they put the price up to send a message about devaluing mobile.

25. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Hey guys, I've removed the video based on feedback here -- sorry about that. I should have used screenshots instead, I think, and will be more cautious videos I include going forward. My apologies for anyone that was surprised by the content.