The Black Friday (or sale..) thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macabouttobe, Nov 18, 2010.

1. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Here in the states, the day after Thanksgiving (11/26) is called Black Friday (11/27). The definition of "Black" has a few interpretations, but the general agreement is this is the symbolic day that businesses actually make money (back in black) and the official kick-off to the Holiday season.

I ask the moderator to close this thread if people start sounding off on the shopping spirit of the season...

I ask all of you fellow apple folks to post where you are seeing the iPad on some crazy sale. I'm going to pull the trigger as a Christmas gift to myself, but the TJ Max announcement tells me to hold off until the price dropping begins!

P.S. I had this name before I bought my first iMac and haven't changed it...

2. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Different interpretations? If you mean some type of racial component, that's an idiot that doesn't know the definition or is trying to race bait.

Black Friday is a finance term for the exact reasons you mentioned. I've worked for retail businesses in the corporate environment for 20 years and it's always referred to as getting out of the red and back into the black. From the desk calculator that shows negative numbers in red and positive numbers in black.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Black" as in my mood when dealing with traffic bottlenecks that force me to take a long detour around shopping districts on that day.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Seems like you might be the one trying to bait. Black has multiple meanings apart from any racial definition. Here ya go. (I think you should apologize to OP for the insinuation you were making as well as the ad hominem attack.)

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

6. robby001 macrumors member

Here is a quote from your ad “It’s a loss-leader, a publicity stunt. That's more likely. Not only does it get people into the stores before Black Friday, but it gets the press talking about it, too.“ Sounds to me it is a gimmick to get you to go. :apple:

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Do you really think it can go below $400 again? I don't see it happening at any authorized resellers, but maybe an unauthorized like TJ Maxx will go for losses to get people in their store. Unlikely but not impossible.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

"Black" also always described my mood at having to work that day back when I was in retail.

9. ipad4business macrumors newbie

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I would NEVER. EVER, work for a retail store on black friday for a few hundred bucks. What a waste of life. Black friday is a complete joke, just find your deals online

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

just a heads up for UK users Amazon UK are having their own week of black friday deals: Click

12. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I was just about to see if Amazon UK had anything going on. Thanks.

13. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

And here I thought I headed off any Wacko's with adding the the comment about shutting down the thread if someone went offf about the spirit of the shopping season. Race? Seriously? I'm beside myself in disbelief!

Let's get back to this thread talking about any crazy retail situations that may arise due to timing around Black Friday.

14. jess127 macrumors member

Anyone know if there will be any deals for MacBooks and what they are? thinking about getting a mac :rolleyes:

15. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I seriously doubt you are going to find a better price than the $399 already listed.