The black plastic antenna / stripes on i6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijon01, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ijon01, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

ijon01 macrumors member

Ok so I have seen the "leaked" pictures of the 6, I really don't like the black plastic lines across the back top and bottom. Ok the 4, 4s, 5 and 5s have small ones on the top and bottom edges but to have them across the whole back looks poor I think.

I know the "leaked" photos may be prototypes or may even be fake but I really hope the finished product does not have them, I'm hoping for smooth all metal casing.

Anyone else agree, do you think the i6 will have them?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Even Apple can't cheat physics. There has to be a way for radio signals to pass through the case.

3. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

why should they be so thick on the 6 when they were so thin on the 5/5s....

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Because the iPhone 5/s had glass panels on the top and bottom to let these signals through. By the looks of it, the 6 relies solely on these lines at the top and bottom.

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Because we've only seen mockups, not the final version.

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

but behind these pieces was some metal... or plastic. anyways they could make it plastic and paint it to look like anodized aluminum... just my thought.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Plastic behind it would've still let radio waves through. I'm not quite sure of the iPhone's exact materials, but the glass windows definitely served a purpose.

I doubt they'd paint them as they'd just look worse. The colours would never match and it would flake off easily.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Signal strength on the 5/5S is pants, so if these awful looking plastic dividing strips help the signal, then I'm all for it.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Looked fine way back when HTC started doing it with the One series.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the mock ups we are seeing are just that and final production looks better. Not that it matters to me too much since I keep the phone in a case but it looks like they copied the One series and did a piss poor job at that.

[​IMG]

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The black plastic antenna / stripes on i6

The lines in the iPhone6 leaks aren't to let radio signals pass, they are to provide separation between antennas so they aren't shorted together.

The post above me.

The iPhone 5's bottom edge is 1 antenna, there is another antenna internal, behind the glass panel.

The iPhone 6 leak takes that second internal antenna and moves it to the external case.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Ah yes, you're correct. I didn't really look at the photo enough to see that the supposed iPhone 6 moved the antenna.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

why couldn't they just make the antenna on the side and go up and around instead of completely across the back?