The Black Screen (Of Death)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

every once in a while i'm working on my mbp and suddenly the computer gets really slow and the internet connection gets really bad the all of a sudden a dark screen pans down from the top of the display and then tells me in several languages that i need to hold the power button and restart my computer

does anybody know what i am talking about or have anything similar going on

i called apple about this a couple weeks ago and the told me to reinstall leopard, it fixed the problem for a couple weeks but now it's back

any help or sudjestions would be great

thanks

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

That my friend is called a kernel panic. Standard procedure: repair disk permissions (disk utility), reset PSU (remove all power and hold down power button for 10 sec), reset PRAM (opt+cmd+p+r right after computer turns on, before chime). Archive and install one last time if problem persists, then call Apple back.

3. kolax macrumors G3

4. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

5. rhyndu macrumors regular

As recommended above, I'd reset PRAM and do a Disk Utility check/repair. What 3rd Party apps are you running (are you running anything that modifies system files?)

6. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

no i don't think i am, i have noticed that many times i have been running azeurus whe the screen apears but i don't think that it it the cause

7. kolax macrumors G3

Are you actually reading the posts? You seem to have missed the first post regarding resetting PRAM, it has been brought up again aswell as repairing Disk Permissions.

Give that a try why don't you.

8. iMan G5 macrumors member

http://transmission.m0k.org/

9. rhyndu macrumors regular

Its hard to help someone who doesn't follow tips that people give him :D

Azeurus might be the cause. Try uninstalling it and see if you get any more KPs.

10. rhyndu macrumors regular

Av... is the cause: From a simple search, I found this:

Do you have a C2D MacbookPro with Leopard? If so, uninstall Azureus NOW!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting, I have Azureus and 802.11n and I can't recall ever getting a kernel panic on this system.

12. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

what's c2d and by the way i have followed those steps and i haven't had the problem reoccur since even though it does only happen once in a while, and i was only throwing it out there about azereus to see if anybody else has had the same problem (smart a*s)

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

C2D = Core 2 Duo, which you most likely have unless you have one of the first MBPs.

14. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

in that case i do have a C2D, but before i uninstall azureus, what is the reason that it isn't good, i'm happy with it so far

15. kolax macrumors G3

Not as light-weight as Transmission. Transmission runs silently in the background, has a sexy GUI and is very stable (generally anyway - but they are fast at fixing bugs, good dev team).

16. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

ok and that's a good insentive to switch but is there any reason why i shouldn't run azureus other than it takes resources, and provided i do switch is there any way for me to switch my downloads over to transmission

17. kolax macrumors G3

If you are going to switch torrent program, I'd wait till your current downloads are done then start fresh downloads on Transmission.