the black strip

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pieuk, May 14, 2012.

1. pieuk, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

pieuk macrumors member

hello people! been a while since ive posted. recently ive notice and this will take a bit of explaining,

you know the black strip that connects to the screen, you can see it under where it reads "macbook air" well, when i close the lid so the lap top is closed, that black strip at the back, tends to move slightly once in a while...

upon further investigation the black plastic bit looks like its held on with glue but its coming loose. not massively loose like omg but you can pull it away slightly at the edge, particularly the right side...

what should i do?

only thing i can think of is that i had the screen replaced because of image staining a while back, maybe the glue to put it back in wasn't up to scratch or what not..

oh and the creaks of the MBA do my head in lol

2. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

Mine did the same thing (if I'm thinking you're talking about the same thing)
    is it where it hinges that is loose?
    Is so, you can bring to apple for repair (apple care, they'll tighten the screws)

3. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Mine does it too. The black strip covering the hinge started moving side to side, noticed it after I had been using it in clamshell mode for a few days. Wonder if it got hot and that caused it to expand/contract and shift perhaps. Presumably Apple would sort it under my applecare, but I've got to be bothered to go in, and it isn't exactly an issue!

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

The black thing on my 15" MBP moves around aswell. Doesn't affect anything so I left it.

5. pieuk thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the posts.

@fire yeah the hinge bit although i dont think it would involve any tightening of any screws its literally the plastic bit that looks as if its held on with an adhesive.

@thepre @oli thats it! yeah seems like a common thing to happen then, i guess it must be to do with it heating up, after all this is the only ventilation gap apple have in the mba mbp etc.

its such a minimal movement on mine and doesnt effect anything i do, so prob best to leave it and stop fiddling with it.

but yes applecare i have for another 2 and a half years.