The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drinktanglefoot, Mar 1, 2013.

1. drinktanglefoot macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an old Mac book pro 15" running snow lepoard 10.6.8

the basics:

MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

The hard drive is on its last legs so I have purchased a Crucial solid state M4 256GB drive to replace it (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/ssd.aspx).

I followed these instructions:

Turn on and plug in the external drive.
    Open Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities).
    Click on your computer's main hard drive (the one with Mac OSX installed on it) in the left-hand column in Disk Utility.
    Click the 'Restore' tab (Mac OSX 10.3 Panther or later required).
    Drag your main hard drive into the 'Source' white field.
    Drag your external drive into the 'Destination' white field. Check the optional box underneath the Destination field that says 'Erase destination'
    Click 'Restore' and it will copy all data across to your external drive.
    When it is finished, Go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disk, and select the External drive.
    Then shut down the computer and proceed to install the external drive inside the Macintosh.

at point 8 I get the message 'You can’t change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk'.

can anyone advise.. the new drive is still connected via the USB and I am guessing if I go to step 9 then the install will be pointless as the machine will no longer boot up?

Can anyone help?
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

2. Ploki macrumors 68020

You didn't have to do the "When it is finished, Go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disk, and select the External drive."

You see, when you swap the drives, this is the only bootable drive in the system and it boots automatically, and its no longer external. I never, ever had to change startup drive when I swapped drives.

Just try to boot with holding option/alt and choose the right drive.