The Bottom Gray Bar - even WORSE than the Notch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fluttershy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Why hasn't anyone - to my knowledge - kicked up a stink about the awful gray bar under the keyboard?

Terrible!

Attached Files:

2. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

Because the keyboard was intentionally raised up so that it’s easier to type with the way you naturally hold your phone.

3. shooter03 macrumors regular

shooter03

Talk about trying to find anything to bitch about. Once apps and the iOS is ironed out it’ll be perfect, in the meantime it’s not that bad.

4. deany macrumors 68030

deany

From memory Chris Pirillo called it a 'permaturd', never heard that expression before, he wasn't keen on it at all.

5. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

It might be something that individual keyboard developers will have to update, and the gray is just the default system color. Not sure if they have access to that area but I’d sure hope so!

6. rkoshack macrumors regular

Guys prepare for a lot of complaint threads today finding anything and everything to complain about

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I regulalry type in two languages too, so I appreciate moving the keybaord option to somewhere easy to still get to but not actually on the kayboard itself. I never find myself needing to swap back and forth mid sentence lol

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Think for a moment how an iPhone SE, 8, or 8+ keyboard sits in relation to your thumb.

The iPhone X presents the key board in the same way, only you are accustomed to seeing a home button there.

9. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

Let me guess the next complain. It doesn’t show the network carrier?

10. LoveMyMacPro Suspended

I'm happy about it. I'm forever accidentally hitting the globe or microphone when I type. This looks like it eliminates that issue.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

whats the stock keyboard look? That should be your main focus. 3rd party one will be updated if it is any different.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

That guy is kind of a DB. I don’t trust his opinion.

13. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Honestly it's not that bad. It looked ugly at first. But I'm finding it is actually easier to type. I'm sure later on Apple will add a option to remove it.

But honestly it's easier to type with.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

It’s already been confirmed that this is intentional and for typing ergonomics. That’s why there’s no stink being kicked up. That or everyone else understands that it’s not that big of a deal.

From Gruber responding to Buzzfeed’s review:

It does look like a waste of space, but I wonder if testing showed that there needs to be some space under the keyboard to separate it from the virtual home button? If there weren’t a gap under the keyboard, you might hit the home button while trying to hit the space bar, and vice versa. UPDATE:I’ve heard from a little birdie that my speculation is correct; also: it’s about typing comfort.​

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Dude is a old angry has been, who is dark and bitter at the world because he's no longer a tv personality.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

May be true, and his personality is that of a hyena in need of Adderall. However, many of his points in that video were pretty spot on.

17. billycuth macrumors 6502a

LMAO... It's been mentioned. But why are you looking down there while you type???

18. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

It would be really difficult to type if it was all the way at the bottom. Think about it..

19. gelie macrumors 6502

OMG. Return that piece of crap immediately. Everybody is talking about that bar. o_O

20. nathorpe macrumors newbie

nathorpe

It looks fine with the stock keyboard though, doesn’t it.

Attached Files:

21. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

It really does take up some screen real estate with the default keyboard and that gray bottom bar.

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I do feel like there will be plenty of wasted space all over the UI, but it is something Apple will improve on over time. Definitely not a huge deal though.

23. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

I actually wondered about this in a different thread discussing the usability of swiping up all the time. The way I hold my 7+ balanced on my pinkie, reaching to the bottom of the screen is not at all easy.

This is the first I’ve seen that they bumped the keyboard up on the X. To me, that seems like a pretty tacit acknowledgment that reaching all the way to the bottom of the screen is not that easy.

24. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

I found it to be a lot more intuitive and easy to use than the reviews let on.