The Bourne Ultimatum

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Aug 14, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- saw it, liked it a lot. It was a blast and a good ending to the trilogy. Anybody else?

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I took my grandfather to see it yesterday. I really enjoyed it- definitely more than the second one but I'm not sure if I like it as much as the first one.

My grandfather didn't fall asleep, so that means he enjoyed it as well. :)

Solid action, if a bit too far fetched (and possibly too much action- especially the massive car chase in NY). A little bit too much shaky cam too. The rooftop scene/chase? Awesome.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Not had a chance to see it yet, really looking forward to it, as long as its half as good as the first two I'll be more than happy.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you'll be more than happy. It's a lot of fun.

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thats all I'm looking for. The first two had solid stories behind them, but really, it's just an action-fest. :D

6. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

haven't seen it yet, but i can't find anyone who has a bad thing to say about it.

7. Mistershark macrumors regular

I saw Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy the Friday that Ultimatum came out, and then saw it the next day. Best movie I have seen in quite a while, and one of the best action movies I have ever seen. Hats off the John Powell for an excellent score and to Moby for an excellent ending song (for those of you who don't know, that song is called "Extreme Ways").

EDIT: I agree with iKwick, the lack of a steadicam during the dialogue shots really distracted me.

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear that it was good. I have been planning to see it but it is hard to get out to the theatre with a 13 month old. Guess I'll probably have to wait for the DVD.:(

9. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Seen it shortly after release, I'd say Live Free or Die Hard was a lot better, but this was definitely worth seeing.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I can't wait to see this. We've been too busy. The hand-to-hand combat between bourne and others is always super fast and cool.

11. Winterfell macrumors regular

Yeah, I thought it was a very decent ending to the Bourne trilogy. I just spent a day at the theatre and saw Sunshine, Bourne Ultimatum, and Stardust. Enjoyed every one thoroughly.

12. ambience macrumors member

I saw it and thought it was possibly the best of the trilogy. The fighting scene and car chase scene were spectacular.

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Very enjoyable, the wobbly cam is a bit distracting but I thought it wasn't as overused as it was in the second one. That one almost gave me motion sickness.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Liked it a lot. But have to agree on the wobbly cam, that was annoying, especially that it happened all the time.

15. esco macrumors 6502

esco

yeah, they've definitely toned it down since the 2nd movie.

I thought the text book to the throat in big fight scene was hilarious :D

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The cool thing about it was...it seemed like the last two hours of a 6 hour film. It was really appropriate what they did with it. They treated it like it was the end of a trilogy, rather than inventing BS or fake love stories. I re-watched the first two before I went and this one just fit in so nicely.

17. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

Incredible movie! Definitely the best of the trilogy.

My mom reports feeling a bit dizzy afterwards from all the action and camera effects.

I actually want to go see it again; it's too exciting. :)

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was exhausted afterward.

19. kristiano macrumors regular

I like it. My favorite Bourne movie is still Supremacy though.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Conceptually, I rather enjoy the idea that the camera becomes increasingly unsteady as Bourne faces deadlier enemies. You'll notice that the camera was at it's "worst" when Bourne was facing Desh "the Asset" at the end of the rooftop chase scene. Things in concept aren't always solid in practice though, and I would have preferred a more clean view of the fight scene. None of the individual fight scenes in the second two movies come across as well as the Bourne vs. Castel fight of the first movie.

That being said, I really enjoyed this movie because it highlighted the way Bourne's mind works. Bourne's most deadly weapon has always been his ability to problem solve and his attention to detail under fire, and I think this movie clearly communicates that. He's able to defeat vastly more powerful adversaries (the CIA, for example) by outthinking them.

My favourite scene is where he's being chased across the rooftops, and outright pauses to figure out where Nicky is. The bird's eye shot of Bourne, being chased by a dozen men, staying calm enough to focus on Nicky's location gave me goosebumps.

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i saw it the first weekend. i thought it was very good. i was looking forward to it coming out

22. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

i definitely liked the movie, but the camera work i could do without.

It worked for the blair witch project... I just hated it for this movie.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The movie was cool and a good ending to the series....some of the best car chases I've seen in a while.

Bless

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

We saw it at the cinema last night: bloody fantastic film!

Spoilers:

The protecting the journalist at Waterloo Station set-piece was incredibly tense.

The fight in Tangiers was superbly choreographed - especially the bit with the book!

My only gripe was with the very last shot. They should have finished the film with Julia Stiles' character smiling at the news and not with Bourne swimming away. But who am I to tell Greengrass how to make a film?

25. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Glad no one else has made this joke yet...

Matt...damon! :p