The brown apple MBP shipping box?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryukouki, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Hey, does anyone here have a spare brown apple shipping box with all the little cardboard/foam things that hold the corners? I have a guy interested in my MBP and I would REALLY appreciate it if I could ship it in a reliable box.

It's for the 13 inch MBP by the way.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just put it in the retail box. It's reliable enough.

3. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

The white one? It's not exactly a blank box. It has the laptop information and pictures of it on the front. I'm not handing that thing in alone without something else to cover it. Mailmen are quite sneaky and it'd magically end up lost. Are we even getting the write box here? :p

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't think SnowLeopard2008 is suggesting to ship it only in the retail box, just to use the padding it provides. Just go to a UPS or FedEx store and they'll give you a box that will fit the retail box.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you are in the States, go to a UPS store and they will package it for you in a typical brown box with bubble wrap or peanuts.

6. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Cover it in bubble wrap and brown parcel paper!

7. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

FedEx has laptop shipping boxes. Goto any of their stores.

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Stop by or call your local Apple store and ask. I did this when I needed to ship my old ACD to a buyer. This time around I kept the box. :D

Other than that, you can always go to your UPS or FedEx store and they will float your MBP so it doesn't get damaged.

9. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Hm... the interested buyer would like it shipped by USPS. I don't know why, but he wants USPS for whatever reason. :p Any idea with this carrier? Do they have laptop boxes?

10. korbearus10 macrumors member

USPS is United States Postal Service. They're the guys who deliver your snail mail (in the US). I'm not sure why he's insisting on USPS. Anyway, are you selling it on eBay?

11. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I think "laptop boxes" are ones with cutouts in the foam for the laptop and AC adapter, at least from what I've seen. Sounds to me like you are packing the laptop back in the original box? If so USPS will be able to box that up in one of their cardboard boxes and bubble wrap and you should be good.

And USPS is a more affordable carrier, maybe that is why your buyer is wanting to use them. Could also be that they have earlier delivery times in his area than the other carriers. Who knows.

12. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually went in and compared the different rates between UPS, Fed EX, and USPS. USPS was cheapest by far. The packing method I was planning to employ was the retail packaging surrounded by the brown box that Apple provides if you do an online order to double pack the box, essentially.

13. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Just a random point: make sure you do delivery confirmation of some sort. Ebay is known to have a lot of scams, and if the buyer is specifically requesting the slowest carrier, it could raise some suspicion (why would he buy a $1000+ computer and try to save $5-10 on shipping?)

14. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely, I planned to insure the mail for its price value and require a signature confirmation. It isn't my first rodeo for online selling. ;) thanks for the concern though! I know that Paypal has those seller protection terms and I intend to fulfill each of them in case my ass gets handed for some reason.

15. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Fat chance, but if i called apple do you think they'd provide me with one?

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This is what I meant. Sorry, I was on the iPhone earlier.

17. tenshu2k macrumors member

I'd certainly give you mine but not sure its worth shipping the shipping box to you, where are you...

18. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I live in California, heck I'd pay you a few bucks for your troubles. ;)

19. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I suspect the buyer was probably requesting USPS "Priority Mail" with 2 or 3 day delivery in the US. The Post Office will give you Priority Mail boxes and, depending on the weight, a "Flat-Rate" box may be your best method. Be sure to have signature on delivery, and insurance at your discretion.

20. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure, the buyer just said that if he purchases it, just ship with USPS. No specifications. I was gonna give him Express Mail with Signature Confirmation, Delivery Confirmation, and insurance.

21. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Express Mail could get pretty expensive. Priority Mail is pretty reasonable, and you could ship to Florida in 3 days for around $20 plus insurance. UPS ground would probably take a week to get that far.

22. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

As the buyer's in Arkansas (as far as I know) shipping would be about $40, which isn't too bad. I really want this buyer to be happy, and if I can get his goods to him faster, I am all for it.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I wouldn't use USPS if they paid me. You're laptop is not something you want to get lost or damaged, that would really be a problem. I would highly suggest you use FedEx or UPS. They give you a tracking number & ship it promptly.

Three times I've had parcels shipped to me via USPS. Every single time they were damaged and it took literally three times as long as their estimated delivery dates. If your Mac is worth more than $10.00 you'll be glad you used anyone but USPS. I wouldn't wish USPS on anyone. :eek:

24. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa! Really?! I've shipped many things, including old laptops, and have had nothing but positive results. Thank you though, that will definitely be a point of consideration.

25. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I do have mine from purchasing my 15" rMBP, not sure if the 13" and its box would be loose in there and what not. Don't really know how much it would cost to send to you though.

Interesting (to me) that your buyer is in Arkansas, that's where I'm at until I move to Chicago for college in a couple weeks. Would be ironic if I shipped you my box and the your buyer who receives it in my old box is only miles away. :p