the built-in camra in my mac book is not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkthebeat, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tkthebeat macrumors newbie

ok i just got a macbook so am kinda new to the mac world.

the built-in camra in my mac book is not working...

i went to photo booth to take a pic and all it has is a video camera with a line through it.

I dont know what to do all i know is that the green light near the camera is on and WILL NOT turn off at all..

i have tried every thing please help :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Did you get a used MB, or a brand new one?

I remember that being a problem on some of the older ones, with the light staying on near the camera, and all apps saying that it can't use the iSight because it is already in use, even though it is not.

Shut down your computer and turn it back on (not a "restart"). That alone might fix it if it's a glitch, and otherwise run any system software updates and perform another shut down.

I'm not sure what the percentage of it being a hardware issue, but the fact that the light is on would point more towards it being a software malfunction in my mind.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A SMC reset will usually address the issue you described. Take out the battery, unplug the MagSafe adapter, hold in the power button for 5 seconds, put everything back into place, start up normally.

4. tkthebeat thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

ok i did the reset and it worked thank you so much

and it is a new MB