Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Hey everyone,

Well, reading all these post gave me some mixed feelings about purchasing an iPad, since everybody has clearly pointed out it's flaws...but also, I have seen good things about it, and it seems to be my kind of device (I don't own an iPod or laptop).

Anyways, to the point! Basically, the iPad was announced at a low price. $499. But, that's American currency. The Canadian cost would be roughly $600 - $700 for the base model, and let's not forget that our couriers (Roger's, Bell, Telus) would most likely not give us Canadians a deal as A&T have given the Americans.

It's beginning to look VERY pricey for the iPad in Canada. But of course, this is just my saying.

Do any Canadians have anything to say for the iPad in Canada? I thought it might be interesting to hear. :eek:

Thank you!
:D:apple:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I personally don't see a need for it. The non-3g version is certainly less capable then my cheap Asus netbook and I can always add a 3g stick from just about any carrier on my netbook but I will probably be tied to Rogers on the iPad. 16GB is probably too small. My netbook has 10X that storage and is filling up already. I would suspect that the 32GB version will be the most popular so the price goes up again. All in all, I'll wait for V2 (although we may not have a choice up here).

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Why would it cost that much? The currency exchange is only about 3-7 cents difference right now. All the macs are about 50-100 dollars price difference for the most part (not counting mac pro and 17in mbp), the ipods are about 20 dollars, and the iPhone is exactly the same price.

I see only about 50 dollars difference in price for Canada. Maybe 100 for the high end ones.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
No way it's $600-$700. I say a $549 base model. Look at the Mac mini that's $599 in the US and $649 here. The iMac and MacBook Pro's that are $1200 in the states and $1300 here.

But Rogers giving us a good deal :rolleyes: Don't think we'll see that happening.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
No way it's $600-$700. I say a $549 base model. Look at the Mac mini that's $599 in the US and $649 here. The iMac and MacBook Pro's that are $1200 in the states and $1300 here.

But Rogers giving us a good deal :rolleyes: Don't think we'll see that happening.

Most likely, i'm wrong...but I used an exchange rate calculator (499 US is 530 CND) and I then added 13% tax, (which is basically 700 buck). For the lowest end.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
i hoping for a base model at $549 but, we'll see.

I like it, but i don't love it. If you don't already have a laptop or iPhone, ya it's a great purchase.

i think the omission of a camera is lame though, why would they do that other than to add features later for a new version....silly

Also, the thick frame around it...what a waste of space, i like all the mock ups we saw leading up to the event to the real thing...

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
A bigger issue than price for me is that it doesn't look like were getting an ibookstore, at least not at launch. There's no mention of it on the canadian iPad features page.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
A bigger issue than price for me is that it doesn't look like were getting an ibookstore, at least not at launch. There's no mention of it on the canadian iPad features page.

Wait, what!?
That's horrible!
Maybe they messed up on there webpage? I mean, the iBoookstore is one of the main reasons that the iPad exists! (My opinion, lol).

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Wait, what!?
That's horrible!
Maybe they messed up on there webpage? I mean, the iBoookstore is one of the main reasons that the iPad exists! (My opinion, lol).

I read somewhere that Apple is working on securing book deals internationally, but until then it's just waiting for us :( Ah well, Apple got us movies and TV shows on iTunes, books hopefully won't be too far off.

patternmedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
The iPad will be abit pricy in Canada. I'd only use wifi as the carriers will be expensive for hookup fees (probably same price as mobile computer card charges).

Can't see this of much use -- very nice and cool but I just can't see an advantage over a laptop.. might be cool if your using drawing programs or developing some new media software.. but as a general device I feel mixed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.