The Canadian iPhone 4 Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ianham, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ianham macrumors member

ianham

Okay, I'm totally upset about Canada not being a part of the first countries to receive it. Anyone else? Fellow Canucks, let your emotions out.

2. Zach23 macrumors regular

Yep definitely sucks.
    I wanted to have the iPhone 4 for me europe trip. I'm still considering going to the US to purchase the iPhone at the no-commitment price.

Anybody want to estimate the chance of the iPhone 4 being released between june 24 and july 5? 6%? haha

3. pablo7 macrumors 6502

"You guys won the gold what more do you want.":apple: Steve Jobs

4. westam macrumors member

westam

ya i had to by/ my ipad in the US to get it early. not sure if i'll do the same here. its only about a month wait time so it's not too bad.

5. maximus06 macrumors regular

I am thinking about going across the border to get mine (live in Vancouver).

I'm just not sure if you, as a canadian, can walk into an ATT store and demand a no-contract iPhone + prepaid SIM? Does anyone know?

Obviously we won't be able to use it in canada until an unlock is out, but I'm confident that will happen within the first 2-3 weeks.

6. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

Not sure why but I had a feeling we would be seeing a delayed release. It's disappointing but I'm not all that upset about it. My main concern is what Rogers does in terms of upgrading. Both my lines will be over the one year mark but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Given Rogers will now be only one of four carriers at launch, I sincerely hope they make some offer. $200 off the full price would be alright, worked fine for the 3GS. Although considering it wasn't a full discount and I still extended my contract by 3yrs it's a little annoying it counted as a full upgrade. Not even going to bother calling Rogers and asking until it's announced as the reps have no idea what they're talking about. I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually asked Rogers about the upgrade possibility. As for buying it in the U.S off contract, I believe you're still required to activate a voice and data plan.

7. Arushan macrumors member

it is comming to Rogers, Bell, Telus and Fido all at the same time in july?

8. Macnator macrumors 6502

All I want to know is what Rogers is doing with upgrading. Specifically for those with an iPhone 3GS.

Patiently waiting here Rogers...:cool:

I want the iPhone 4 so bad.:D

9. sblocker macrumors newbie

what i really want to know is when in july is it going to be released? i have heard people saying that it will be at the end of july!

10. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

That's what's I've been hearing. I know Rogers has confirmed and I'm pretty sure the same thing goes for Bell and Telus. I think it was a Rogers rep who confirmed Fido would be carrying the device at launch.

11. HommePomme macrumors member

They have said "Before the end of July" but I'm praying for an early launch. Rogers Reps have hinted that it was Apple's roll-out strategy and NOT our carriers that are to blame for the delayed launch, so I hope that means that we get it as soon as Apple can get the devices here.

12. sblocker macrumors newbie

if its as soon as apple can get the devices here then that could be a while. i no that rogers had said that the iphone would be on rogers in the next couple weeks...

heres a link to a article that states new iphone in coming weeks:

http://www.thestar.com/business/com...w-iphone-to-be-sold-in-canada-in-coming-weeks

13. achtungbaby macrumors newbie

I will have had my 3GS for just over a year when it arrives sometimes in July. Hopefully Rogers will let us know what options we have so I can decide what do to....if they upgrade us thats great but if they won't I'm not waiting :) I'll sell my 3GS and buy it outright. It would be nice to know what Bell, Telus and others will be offering so maybe we could haggle Rogers a bit if it comes to it

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Follow this for I guess the "official news" from Rogers: redboard.rogers.com

I'm pretty upset too, but only because I already have a buyer for my 3GS and she's just waiting for me to get the new phone lol.

15. sblocker macrumors newbie

Im upset to because this is going to be my first iphone and now i have to wait even longer

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Lol. Another poster had a pretty decent "theory" behind the Canadian delay, which he said it might be because of the recent iPad release here Apple didn't want to have the iPhone release to be too close...it's either that or the Carriers really couldn't get a good enough deal and are still trying to get a good deal for launch.

And I really hope they do what they did last year for upgrades, ie. allow early upgrades from early adopters of the 3GS. Even if it is at say a 299/399 for the 16/32, that would still be reasonable, which is actually what I think they did do last year.

17. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Well I am going to get the iPhone 4 when it comes out. I currently have a iPhone 3G from Setember 2008, so I better be able to upgrade :p

The thing is, I have some student plan thing that includes My10 and an extra 1500 Text and no Data (I know it SUCKS having no Data). So I dont know if that would affect anything. But all I know this time around is I will be getting DATA.

As for the release date for July, I think I am one of the few who kinda like it. I mean, I will be ordering my first MacBook Pro and iPad in the first week of July, and if the iPhone releases at that time, it would be pretty crazy getting all 3 Apple devices at once. It would be such a good day opening all of those devices :p

18. sblocker macrumors newbie

this is what a guy posted on a forum called howardforums.com

The reason why the iphone 4 is not launching in Canada on June 24th is due to Quebec Bill 60 that becomes law on June 30th. Because of Bill 60, every carrier operating in Quebec will have to create new Terms and Conditions for their Quebec subscribers. This Bill will set rules on how carriers must deal with their Quebec customers.

Some of the new rules that Quebec customers will see
    1)Starting June 30th, In a Quebec advertisement, carriers must display the full cost of the plan including SAF/911.GRRF fees in the price of their advertisement. Example $40 cityfido plan will be displayed as $40.40 plan.
    2)Starting June 30th, Any Quebec customer who activates service with agreement or renewals their agreement must be provided a written copy that contains the cost for every service a carrier can charge this customer. The cost of these services can't change for the duration of the contract.
    3)Starting June 30th, no more 30 days notice. Quebec customers who wants to cancel their service will have their service cancelled immediately once the call ends with the CSR or if the customer ports out.
    4)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers will not pay any administrative fees for non payment or rejected payment.
    5)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers who want to cancel their service before the end of the term will be charged.... the hardware subsidy received x the number of month remaining divided by how many month is the agreement length. Example: say a Quebec customer got 16GB iphone 3GS for $199 on 3Y term on June 19, 2009. The retail price of 16GB iphone 3GS is $699. So this customer received $500 hardware subsidy from their carrier. Now this customer wants to cancel their line. This customer has 24 month remaining on their contract. (500 x 24 month) divided by 36 month = The ECF in this example will be $336.67 +tax.

These 5 rules are some of the new rules that will come into play on June 30th for Quebec customers.

To have a smooth Canadian iphone 4 launch, Apple and Rogers/Telus/Bell agreed to delay the the launch of the new iphone 4 because they didn't want to create rules for 6 days that they would have to change on June 30th. So all parties agreed that it was in their best interest for all carriers to be ready for the new Quebec law without having a major iphone launch to deal with. Every CSR who handles Quebec customers, Store Rep in Quebec must be retrained on the new rules. I don't think any carrier wants a CSR in a training class when thousand of customers are on hold waiting to speak with a CSR to see if they can qualify to get iphone 4.

If it wasn't for this new Quebec Law, the Canadian iphone 4 launch would have been on June 24 like the Americans. I can guarantee you this.

19. sblocker macrumors newbie

quick question how do i check to see when i am eligible for a upgrade

20. HommePomme macrumors member

Haha, naturally. Damn Quebeqois! :p Just leave already! :p

/jk

21. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's an interesting bit about the new Quebec law. Would make sense that the carriers did that. Hopefully the phone comes out like the first week of July then. :D

22. HommePomme macrumors member

Here's to a Canada Day release of Thursday, July 1st!

23. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh that would be so awesome! And that's the first day of my vacation so that's perfect timing!

24. Zach23 macrumors regular

What do you guys think the chance of this is? hahaha

25. sblocker macrumors newbie