Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hot damn! Isn't that like a $6,000 lens?!! :eek:

You have one hell of a wife! :p

Very nice pictures.

Thanks for all the comments folks. Yes, it is an expensive lens ($5699.00 Amazon). We discussed it but she wanted to get it for me as she knows I enjoy photography. If you take care of it, the lens will last for years!

The other way of looking at it.. as she said, "guys, spend money on golf, cars, boats, horses, and in the scheme of things it is a small amount of money (one time purchase) compared to the other really expensive hobbies that you continue to spend money on over the years"...

I like her logic.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
I am sorry but I have to say this logging on????????? That is so corny for the tiger getting on the log. Other than that the picture were amazing if only the bronx zoo was like this.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for all the comments folks. Yes, it is an expensive lens ($5699.00 Amazon). We discussed it but she wanted to get it for me as she knows I enjoy photography. If you take care of it, the lens will last for years!

The other way of looking at it.. as she said, "guys, spend money on golf, cars, boats, horses, and in the scheme of things it is a small amount of money (one time purchase) compared to the other really expensive hobbies that you continue to spend money on over the years"...

I like her logic.

Don't let her go.

waffles123

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Hi. What settings did you use to take the pictures? Were the animals habitat's open or enclosed by glass? Just curious. :)

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hi. What settings did you use to take the pictures? Were the animals habitat's open or enclosed by glass? Just curious. :)

I used RAW, converted in Lightroom 2.4, Av Priority; f4, ISO 800, Shutter speed; 1/125-1/400 sec (each image had a different SS) with a Canon 50D body.

The habitats are OPEN. No glass. The Cincinnati Zoo is the most photographer friendly zoo in Ohio. Cleveland being second.

Mark

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Isn't that something like 10 lbs? Curious if you were shooting handheld with that beast? With a monopod? Or does your zoo allow for tripods w/ gimbals?

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Isn't that something like 10 lbs? Curious if you were shooting handheld with that beast? With a monopod? Or does your zoo allow for tripods w/ gimbals?

The lens itself if 8.5 lbs... with the camera body/battery grip gets it around 10 lbs.

It is handholdable for short periods, but all the zoo shoots were with a monopod. The zoo does allow tripods.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
That's just incredible, I hope that when the day comes that I get married I will find such an understanding and awesome woman.
Great shots too! hang onto that lens for a long time, if you ever get into a 1D series body it will blow your mind!

Lucky guy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.