The care and feeding of Smartcovers - tips

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by glen e, Mar 27, 2012.

1. glen e, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

As we probably have a lot of new people buying the smartcover , I thought I'd put together whet I've learned over the past year or so. I also detail a lot of boats and cars and learned how to care for surfaces.

Cleaning:
    Leather SC: Use the Kiwi stuff here. At your shoe store - cheap...
    [​IMG]
    Rub it in with your fingers monthly, Lexol cleaner and sealer also works well. Actually any "hide food" product works well. Think of your shoes - how do you care for them?

Poly: these things are indestructible and I hear they get dirty quick, mine don't. I use Windex, 409 or any gen purpose cleaner without harsh stuff like ammonia. "Tough Stuff" spray sold at auto part stores is good. Last year, some idiot was recommending you wash them in the dishwasher - worked great for a few times until the heat split the seams and ruined it. Duh....

Both interiors: The tough stuff foam listed above - a wet microfiber rag is fine also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

Thanks OP!

What is the usual length of time for the interior to dry when using Tough Stuff (never used before)?

3. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

as long as water takes...few hours in sun, etc

4. Arkham.insane macrumors newbie

Just joined but feel compelled to comment, very extreme. That is all.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

While smart covers have their advantages, one is not durability. I've never had a problem, but I'm very careful. For those who are not so careful, or just don't want to deal with a less than long lasting product, there's far better choices.

6. SweetDove macrumors regular

Thank you op. I don't think it's extreme. I play with my iPad eating Cheetos, BBQ chicken, after putting on sunscreen, I've spilt beer on it, ect ect. I think knowing how to properly clean it is really very helpful. Currently with my iPad 1gen case I just wipe it down with some windex or water, but sometimes I just can't get the ick out. (and I hate ick.) I'll have to give the tuff stuff a shot :3

7. glen e, Mar 27, 2012

glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

relax....no one asked anyone to comment on the quality of the post....it's not extreme at all..."wipe with windex" is extreme????

stick around here and watch the questions on how to clean a piece of plastic or leather...some have no idea....or just do a search...

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Windex contains isopropyl alcohol and ammonia - both of which will dry out and discolor leather, not to mention the blue dye that is in it - don't use this stuff on any of your covers or Apple product screens. Same goes for 409.

9. glen e, Mar 27, 2012

glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

read it again - I said use it on the poly...windex is made without ammonia - again I said without the harsh stuff...the message is treat plastic like plastic and leather like leather, nothing special in either situation...

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Cool. I have the poly and was weary of cleaning it at all. Now that I know you can I may use a baby wipe. That may seem a bit weird but they have no chemicals and are crazy at cleaning stuff

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPad 2 w/ leather smartcover and rear skin. I waited about 2 months, and then used some mink oil. Really brings out the chine and suppleness. And again about 2 months later, and again just before selling it. 6 months of frequent use, and the smart cover still looked and felt great.

I'll do the same with my new iPad and smartcover in another month or so.

12. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Will the Kiwi stuff discolor the red leather?

13. Digidesign macrumors 6502

I've used this on my red smartcover

[​IMG]

The color will deepen / darken but will lighten up after a day or two.

14. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Sorry, not enough coffee today I guess.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

I use Zanio. Good for car ... good for ipad.

Smell soooo good afterwards.

On the inside felt.....a lint remover roller works for dust .

16. sekazi macrumors 6502

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol on my Black Leather cover to get out excessive ink.

Afterwards I used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner to get it back in a proper state after being dried out by the alcohol.

My leather cover will never rub off ink on anything. Does not smell like ink like it did when it first came out of the packaging. Not nearly as shiny as it was.