The case companies left out will be pissed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlondeBuddhist, Jul 17, 2010.

1. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Was just thinking that whoever gets left out of Apple's free for all are going to be seriously pissed and left out. Beyond the fact that they won't get the contract from Apple, they are going to miss out on the millions of people getting free cases from Apple. Talk about having to step your game up.

Just a thought, but I can't imagine they're thrilled that now, no one "needs" their product.

Blonde Buddhist

2. iBryton macrumors regular

There isn't enough bumpers to give out for everybody, so they will also include the 3rd party cases (which Apple purchases from the company)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will get them for dirt cheap from case manufacturers in bulk and will spend more money on shipping than the actual case.
    Dont expect any good quality variety of choices.
    Unless you want to wait a few months for a bumper.

4. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I hear ya. Nevertheless, it's not good for your product's business when the first 4-5 million people who buy the device your making a product for are already equipped with something that will "do the trick". It makes running out and buying a case less on the priority list, IMO.

Blonde Buddhist

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, hope they learn from it.
    Im sure in the future they wont repeat it cause they prob hadnt planned on buying everyone a free case:)
    It will be a good chunk of money they put into this along with bad publicity on top.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a feeling the selection will be very small and of a lower quality than the cases you'd normally find at an Apple store.

The higher end case companies like Sena will probably pass on the chance to be one of the freebie makers, as they'll have to come up with something low end and sell it to Apple for near cost, tarnishing their brand. A mid level company like Incase's resources would be better spent on getting their own lineup to market.

I think the contract(s) will go to a company who can crank out a quick million generic TPU shells, like Belkin or Griffin. Whoever ends up making the cases will be making less money per case than if they sold them through normal retail channels, though they might do ok if the order is big enough. Regardless, Apple will be calling in a BIG favor from any company willing to and capable of fulfilling the order(s).

7. chembox macrumors 6502a

I think the cases sold might be for anything less than what a bumper costs ($29?).

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

I don't think it will be that big of a deal for case companies. Most people will still end up getting the case that appeals to them the most, regardless of whether they take advantage of the Apple offer. If someone wanted a bumper or whichever other cases Apple gives out, then they get it for free and the only one that takes the hit is Apple. If someone wants a different case, they can still get that one in addition to or instead of the free one, and they won't be out any more money than they would have been without Apple's offer.

The only business that some case companies will lose is from the people who don't care what case they get and will just take the cheapest one, which in this case is a free one from Apple or another company.

9. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

I'm sure they'll all have an opportunity to put bids in to apple for this

10. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Or maybe Apple will promise the companies that help it out an early hint on the next design so they can produce the cases?

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep.

Going to be a bunch of loose fitting silicone crap & socks.

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore