The case for Apple to maintain a 4 inch iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldmacs, Sep 10, 2014.

1. oldmacs macrumors 68040

oldmacs

I'm quite interested if there is anyone else that prefers the 4 inch screen size to larger ones.

I can't stand large phones, lack of one handed use kills it for me. I also like being able to put it in my pocket WITH other things.

My current phone is an iPhone 5 which will be fine for a few years yet, but I'm scared that there will be no reasonable sized phone left at that stage.

Does anyone else want a 4 inch iPhone to be updated with the latest processor? i think there is a reasonable demand, and I'm glad that the 5S has been kept, but would like Apple to go one step further.

Thoughts?

2. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

I think you're going to be very hard pressed to find a smart phone in the future with that small of a screen. Regardless of manufacturer or OS.

3. oldmacs thread starter macrumors 68040

oldmacs

I know, but I appreciated that Apple did make one, and i wish they had continued to.

4. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

If they had made a 4" version of the iPhone 6 I would have purchased it. I too like the size of the 5/5s. I feel in complete control of my phone. I have big hands too so that's not the problem.

5. 617aircav Suspended

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

7. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

I think the trends in technology will allow room for a 4 inch screen to remain viable. I think there is still a large population who believe that portability and ease of use without sacrificing ample screen size is a key factor for a mobile device.

8. Plx32 macrumors member

Wait for "iPhone 6 mini" in next year's lineup ! ;-)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you really like a 4" screen, I'd suggest getting the 5s now as it is a year newer than what you have. I don't think you'll see a 4" screen from Apple again.

10. 0007776 Suspended

I would personally prefer them to have a smaller iPhone that goes back to the 3.5" size as that was the perfect size as far as I'm concerned. Sadly I don't see Apple offering one and since there are very few smaller android options in smaller screen sizes most people will be forced to downgrade to a larger device once they can't keep using their old phones.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of iPhone users that actually wanted a giant screen already switched to android, so I'd be curious to see if an android maker decided to release a mini version of their phone with decent specs and a small screen to attract the large portion of Apple's user base that they just abandoned.

11. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

Agree

I was waiting for next Apple phone. Very disappointed. My only options are the 5S or one of the smaller Sony phones.

I think there are enough people with small hands that it makes sense to keep it. I don't have small hands, I just think the bigger phones are unwieldy.

I guess I might save a $100 and wait for iPhone 6S Air.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If there's a viable market for a 4-inch smartphone, someone will supply it, although it won't necessarily be Apple.

If there isn't a viable market for a 4-inch smartphone, some desperate failing manufacturer will supply it in a last-ditch effort to stay afloat.

13. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

That would be sad but hilarious. Apple abandons its users to chase Samsungs users and Samsung swoops in to fill the abandoned users need. Some Android maker will have a high end 4 inch phone out soon (I think Sony does).

14. 0007776 Suspended

Sony has a 4.3" version which I picked up when al the rumors about the larger screen in the new iPhones got to the point where I actually believed them, it's a good phone, 4.3" is about the maximum size that I would be willing to use.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think they feel that the 5S is covering them this year and next as it gets cheaper.

But come 2016 when the iPhone 6 is the oldest phone in the lineup I do wonder if they'll see a hole that needs filling. I would not be surprised to see the iPhone 7 come in 3 screen sizes with an all "new" "mini-sized" 4 inch screen.

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Updated processor? Because the 5S is too slow?
    :confused:

17. oldmacs thread starter macrumors 68040

oldmacs

Well more to the point, that they continue to provide a 4 inch phone with up to date specs. I don't want to replace my iPhone for another 2 years, and in two years the 5S is not going to cut it at all.

18. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'm hoping for next years model, there is a 4" model. But it will depend on this years sales. If Apple sees that the 5S and 5C still have strong sales, I see them giving a 4, 4.7 and 5.5 options next year.

19. PaythePiper macrumors member

Pigs will fly while using iPads before this happens

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I doubt the 5S would be dead by then. Other than a new processor, needed for the new screen shanenigans, and a new camera, iPhone 6 is not different than the 5S on almost every aspect. I would like to see a 4 incher updated some time too, but it's useless speculating on what Apple will do.

21. kerr macrumors member

Awesome, I LOL'd.

I think you're clearly wrong. For starters, there will always be Android phones in the small to medium range. If I check all of my local telco sites, I can probably find at least 10 Android phones < 4.5".

Apple have the 5S for the next 24 months, the 5C for the next 12 months, and I'm fairly confident there will be a 4.0" 6C next year.

It would be more correct to say that the likelihood of a 4.0" premium phone in the future is looking slim. I think that is unfortunate. I'm keen on the 4.7", but I believe there is a chance of Apple releasing a 4.0" iPhone within the next couple years that has a brand new processor.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but many of those phones have lower specs.

23. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Same. The only ergonomic difference between the 5 and 6+ for me is pocketability. Otherwise, the iPhone 5 was already too big for comfortable single-handed operation.

24. ggf macrumors member

Multiple sizes

I think and hope you are right. Most of the push for larger and larger screens seems to be from people who want a single device to do everything and in particular for people who do lots of Facebook email or web browsing on their phone. That is OK and I am glad that Apple is making a phone for them.

However, that is not me - if I want to do those things I use my iPad mini. It is far better for these tasks than any iphone.

What I want use the iphone for is calls and apps set up for the phone (weather alarms reminders etc) For these I want a phone that can fit in the pocket of any particular clothing that I am wearing ( my gym clothes, a suit, jeans, a shirt breast pocket etc. It needs to go with me everywhere. A bigger phone will not fit in some of these places. 4 inch is the max that will and I would probably prefer the old iphone 4 size (3,5 inches). With Siri I don't need to have a big screen to do the things I need to do.

If I have to carry something to put the phone in I will take a Jacket or a backpack and in that case I will take the mini with me.

I don't think I am alone and I think there are enough people like me that once the pent up demand for the larger screens works its way through we will probably see three sizes. I can live with my iphone 5 for a while yet but don't want to miss out on the latest features like touch id or payments because I prefer a smaller phone

25. BabyFu18 macrumors member

BabyFu18

I really like the size of my iPhone 5, I have smaller hands and I think it just works well for me, but I've been with iPhone from the beginning and when you go back and look the size/shape have evolved and somehow people have managed to get on board with that. I think I'm going to try the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 and if I absolutely cannot get used to the size I'll sell it and go back to my 5 (that I'll hold on to).

It's hard to think that I'll like a bigger phone, but I'm willing to give it a chance and keep a backup in case it turns out to be something I don't like using. But I understand not wanting a bigger phone, I'm pretty resistant about the bigger form too, but like I said I'll try and see what happens.