All iPads The case for Apple Watch/iPad compatibility

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jasmynp, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Would you give up your iPhone if the iPad (airs/mini) has access to the Apple Watch?

1. Yes, In a heartbeat

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. I dunno, seems weird

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, that's batcrap crazy

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

The iPad Air 2 is my only device. It's my personal and work laptop. It's also my cell phone thanks to LTE connectivity and my number being ported to google voice. I take it with me every where every day.

It would be wonderful if the Apple Watch connected to the iPad because despite my love for it, the iPad is not always convenient to pull out. Meanwhile there is almost no situation where you couldn't pull out the iPhone. In fact, from what I understand, there are many people who had returned their watch because it's literally easier to pull out their phones.

Smart watches could be more useful for those of us who want/need a remote because of their atypical use of tablets and laptops. How does it hurt Apple to include us? I can't imagine there are enormous numbers of people who would ditch the iPhone to go my weird route so iPhone sales wouldn't take a hit and any limit in functionality would hurt the buyer (who knew what they were getting into) not the seller.

My dream scenario is either the iPad gaining access to the Apple Watch as it stands or a 4G Apple Watch that connects to any device.

As for why/how the Air 2 is my only device? I carry a pack everywhere and I only make about 4 calls a week. The rest is data.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

One major reason the watch requires an iPhone is to further customer lock in.

iPhone is everything to Apple, it's their cash cow.

And it's sacred :eek:

3. Jasmynp, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

Jasmynp thread starter macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I totally get that, but allowing compatibility would lock me with the iPad. Right now I could switch to another developed OS and get the same work done. I wouldn't do that so readily if I had access to Apple Watch. And maybe I'd decide I wanted an IPP for work and a Mini as my phone/mobile device which would put me deeper in the Eco system. But I guess from your and probably Apple's point of view, the phone is the centerpiece of the Eco system so it would and should have everything exclusively or at least first.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're argument is valid. It's just that Apple is not about choices.

A perfect dictatorship, they call all the shots :D

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

No, I wouldn't abandon my iPhone if the iPad had access to the Apple Watch, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd really like the iPad to have access to the Health app. And it would mean an immediate sale of a Watch to The Unindicted Co-Conspirator, since she lives on the iPad.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would go out and buy a LTE iPad mini right now if it were compatible with the Apple watch. I'd then cancel my iPhone cell plan, and live with the mini as my "phone." The iPhone 6 is a bit too small to read comfortably or look up maps on, and the 6+ feels unbalanced and awkwardly weighted in my hand. So for me, the mini would be the perfect device to carry with me when I go out. The only thing stopping me is I love my Apple watch.

7. Jasmynp thread starter macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

You get me! You really get me lol. The only reason I didn't get a mini is because I really wanted an all-in-one device and I needed at least the Air size for work. Maybe when the IPP2 comes out I'll get that and a mini as my phone/mobile only if iPads get Apple Watch connectivity.

8. Jasmynp thread starter macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

My husband's new nickname is Unindicted Co-Conspirator. It's going on his tombstone!

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, we are in total agreemeant here. If I could have only one iDevice, it'd have to be the 9.7" iPad. It's small enough to take when I go out, but big enough for comfortable reading and for some productivity tasks. My ideal line-up, now that the iPP has arrived, would be iPP for home, and mini for going out. Something closer to the size of 6+ might work also, if it was proportioned like the iPads. That long shape just doesn't work for me.

In fact, if Apple doesn't make the watch compatible with iPads, I might switch to a fitness tracker that is. Hmmmm, maybe I'll go write feedback to that effect. Watch for iPads! Come on, Apple! :D

10. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I voted no because I would not give up my phone but it does make sense to me that any LTE device should be able to host the Apple Watch.

11. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I think the main case against allowing iPad's to control the Apple Watch is that apps like Apple Maps would be inaccurate without GPS. Yes, the LTE model has GPS but Apple would never allow only the LTE models to be compatible and have WIFI only customers not able to pair their watches. I do think it would be nice to have your health info on your iPad but since that data in encrypted, it would not sync in the cloud across devices, at least not without Apple giving up some of its security which I doubt would ever happen. Things such as blood type and medical conditions are not something Apple wants to risk being compromised in iCloud.