the cheapest 13" mbp compared with the most expensive MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twftbh, Jun 19, 2009.

1. twftbh macrumors newbie

hey guys, i bought the cheapest 13" macbook pro for my sister and i am now
    using

feeling so good with that machine, the mon is attractive to me, also the design and the glass trackpad

til now, i have not done any stress test on this machine.

So, i want to purchase one for myself.
    which i think of is the cheap the cheapest 13" mbp compared with the most expensive MBA

i just use this for surf web, watching videos(HD), listening to musics, office, seeing documents

Do u guys think give some advices to me?
    is it worth 5k more to get MBA?
    i am afraid of MBA performance and the mon, also 2g ram non-changeable

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you're asking if adding $5,000 to get a computer to do things that you could do on a $300 netbook is the right thing to do, eh?

I'd say not.

3. donster28 macrumors 65816

The 13" 2.26 MBP will suite you well. I have it and I do video and photos and the likes and it is mighty capable.

Mind you, I upgraded my RAM to 4gigs and my HD to a Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 320giger. I think that's where the extra uumph is coming from. But for a stock lappy, it'll still do you good. If you're thinking of upgrading gradually, I would start with the RAM first to 4gigs.

I hope this helps. :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say go with the 13" MBP, you're getting more computer then the MBA insofar and expandability, ports and user replaceable components.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Buy the 13" MPB.

Use it to learn how to communicate on the interwebs coherently.

6. sebgreen macrumors regular

i had same situation

Started a new job this week and wanted a new machine to keep all my work separate from my 15'mbp that i use to play at home.
    I was going to get the top MBA but then i noticed the spec of the basic 13" mbp. Its a hell of a lot more powerful, plus it can take up to 8gb of ram......

i think unless you need a small machine, i mean unless you NEED a machine the size of the mba dont get it. Get the new 13" mbp as its more powerful, more upgradable and cheaper

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I can't give you the best response in terms of comparing the two notebooks but I own a 13" MBP. I've used the MBA several times and it's a great machine, it's just lacking in terms of ports and an optical drive. You're going to have to carry on a USB optical drive if you want to watch movies on the go, unless they're .avi already or something. Actually, if they're HD movies you're going to have to carry a USB optical drive around because of the FAT32 complications. 1 USB port sucks too, unless you get a hub.

8. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

where did you get the 5k figure from? the top end MBA is only $1799 USD. unless you are quoting a weaker currency :confused:

9. qpid macrumors regular

FAT32??? What are you talking about?

10. twftbh thread starter macrumors newbie

yes
    you are right that i am quoting a weaker currency:D

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

MacBooks' hard drives are formatted as FAT32 (compared to PC machines where you could have either FAT32 or NTFS) meaning that an individual file cannot exceed 4gb. HD movies are +4gb. He would not be able to have a +4gb movie file stored on his hard drive, so he would have to use an optical drive.

12. deadparrot macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but what planet do you live on?

Macs have NEVER used the FAT filesystem! All Macs use HFS+ which negates all file-size limits present in HFS and FAT.

13. gorn macrumors member

MacBooks' drives are not formatted FAT32. FAT32 is a Microsoft format that is supported in other operating systems due to popularity.
    Mac has used Apple's own HFS+ filesystem since around Mac OS 8.5 or so. HFS+ can easily handle files greater than 4GB.

Flash drives are often formatted FAT32, which has the 4GB limit, other times Flash drives are formatted NTFS, which Mac cannot write to by default.

14. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I been living on earth for the past 19 years of my life. Macs have never used the FAT filesystem? When using this information tool that came with my external hard drive it said FAT32. Perhaps it was wrong but I have perfect vision and it clearly says that. The hard drive is exclusively windows but it does work with my Mac.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Externals ship with FAT32 for the broadest compatibility.

You won't find a FAT32 disk inside a Mac by default.

16. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

For what you are asking to do, you could also consider a white Macbook. You will give up the better trackpad and a better screen, but you will save some money and it will do all that the 13" MBP will do.

17. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

No.