Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I hope this is the case for the next iPhone. I generally buy an extra iPad or iPhone to sell. This time around I went to Walmart at midnight bought a iPad 64fb AT&T, because I wouldn't be able to get to the apple store in the AM like I wanted too.

I called at 5pm after work and they had the one I wanted. So I went to pick it up and asked about inventory they said they had every model in stock!!!!!!

So instead of putting the AT&T 64gb up for sale I just returned it. Super funny thought.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Actually we are the ones that get owned either way... all these iPads are then sold as refurbs and the cost for apple, equals cost for us right?

relax, if the items are still sealed in shrink wrap, they're resold as retail units.

apple has nearly 1 billion in cash reserves and all their product lines are profitable...whatever loss you think they're taking is more than overshadowed by the sales.

[edit] LOL, i wonder if the -7 rating was because i mistakenly left off the zeros or because you guys feel like apple can't absorb the return cost of the scalped ipads (which presumably would be purchased by the potential buyers thru authorized channels later on). you guys need to relax...apple is making money hand over fist.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Actually we are the ones that get owned either way... all these iPads are then sold as refurbs and the cost for apple, equals cost for us right?

Apple is doing a good thing for their customers, making sure there's enough supply to outweigh demand and put the scalpers out of business.

What will be funny with the iPhone 5 release will be that because everyone who preordered will think "Gee, no need to preorder because Apple stores have no lines and they'll have every size all day long" that we'll be right back where we used to be- fewer goods in the hands of customers, more in the hands of scalpers.

I didn't like worrying about FedEx trucks and delivery dates, would have preferred just to walk in the store and get what I needed. Customer behavior moves both ways depending on the situation. We all preordered The New iPad to avoid the in-store shortages, now that we perceive there aren't in-store shortages, we'll all stop preordering for the iPhone 5. Round and round it goes...

BJ

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
That's so racist. Like the Chinese are in "Droves". Yeah, they do everything in 'droves'. They don't go anywhere except 'in droves' ( They go to the bathroom in 'droves', etc.)

Just stop it.

Papillo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
LOl apple should restrict the return of products purchased outside the company a person is attempting to return it to max of 3. Let the greedy scalpers spend their money to fly back to the states or mail them back for return.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
That's so racist. Like the Chinese are in "Droves". Yeah, they do everything in 'droves'. They don't go anywhere except 'in droves' ( They go to the bathroom in 'droves', etc.)

Just stop it.

There is nothing whatsoever racist about that particular expression. I can't imagine why anyone would think there was.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

Just stop it.

There is nothing whatsoever racist about that particular expression. I can't imagine why anyone would think there was.

Yeah, really, what is so racist? Do you know what "drove" means?

It can be associated to any large number of people or things doing the same thing.

- After the 7 March 2012 keynote, people pre-ordered the new iPad in droves.

- People came to this site in droves to post their shipping status.

- Often, women use the restroom in droves.

Shall I go on?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

the statement wasn't, but the Business insider article had to call them out as Chinese why? And it was taken @ NY, so we know that they're Chinese versus another flavor of Asian how?

The whole thread is a fail really. And I got sucked in too.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I'm chinese so I get to make fun of my own people :p.

So chinese queues are like a triangle instead of a line. All the iPads will get sold. A lot of Chinese buyers will purchase them because they were not included in the first 2 launches Apple is currently doing. Apple may also not be able to sell in mainland China due to legal issues. Buyers will probably go to Hong Kong and then smuggle iPads into the mainland. Chinese scalpers on the other hand will be returning a lot of iPads just due to the fact that they are getting caught by mainland China or they are suffering losses due to adequate stock of supply.

boxster99t

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
now that we perceive there aren't in-store shortages, we'll all stop preordering for the iPhone 5. Round and round it goes...

BJ

Not I--I will preorder the iPhone 5 or whatever the next iPhone is called. Even if there is no major line which I highly doubt, there is no beating the convenience of coming home to the new toy sitting at my doorstep waiting for me. And I live less than 10 miles away from 3 different Apple Stores.

I will be going to the Apple Store, however, to return one of the two iPads I ordered as soon as I choose between the AT&T and Verizon models I have.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
the statement wasn't, but the Business insider article had to call them out as Chinese why? And it was taken @ NY, so we know that they're Chinese versus another flavor of Asian how?

The whole thread is a fail really. And I got sucked in too.

Customers returning bags and bags of sealed iPads to the Apple Store were called out as Chinese by Business Insider because they are Chinese.

And ironically, asking how anyone would know which "flavor of Asian" a person is in New York City sounds much more racist than anything Business Insider wrote, good grief. :)

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005

Just stop it.

Someone took the slow boat to China.

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I stood on line for about 1/2 hour on launch day at the Apple store on Fifth Ave. in NYC. 90% of the people on line were Chinese (I know because they were speaking Chinese), and most of them already had bags with at least 2 iPads in them.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Congratulations to Apple for taking several years to solve the scalping problem, using a solution that any high school graduate could have proposed.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Congratulations to Apple for taking several years to solve the scalping problem, using a solution that any high school graduate could have proposed.

Hindsight is 20/20. Also creating the correct balance of production to demand ratio with logistics and confidentiality thrown in are so easy for us to criticize.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Apple had it right this time. Who needs the media? They've already got a cult following. They own the tablet market. I'm excited that everyone was able to get one. Hell, you could go to the Apple Store in Greenville SC and buy any model you wanted and that location is packed (only 2 in the state).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Just stop it.

It's an English saying.

Last Friday londoners bought the the new apple iPad in droves.

And you know what, people in 25 more countries are about to buy the new iPad in droves.

A large group of Chinese people is not called a drove btw .

----------

They use the same approach as night clubs , lines outside = popular :p

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Hi I don't know why everyone gets so mad about this Gompers I mean it's just it's it's just a fact of life cannot get over there's no reason to just be no complaining about the multimillion no no purpose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.