Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0x100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
Japan
Checking the apple store, my favorite model, is still being sold! http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

How much more do you think apple is going to sell the classic 08' design style?

I bought mine last year with the I7. It's a beast.

Upgraded mine to 16 gigs and SSD which is awesome (can't do that on the retina and air ones). I use the ethernet port and superdrive daily! (for IT and ripping CDs at high quality!). It has all the ports you'd ever need. it has 6 more ports tun the new macbook!

Why aren't more people recommending this? It's awesome.

I hope I never have to let it go.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Checking the apple store, my favorite model, is still being sold! http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

How much more do you think apple is going to sell the classic 08' design style?

I bought mine last year with the I7. It's a beast.

Upgraded mine to 16 gigs and SSD which is awesome (can't do that on the retina and air ones). I use the ethernet port and superdrive daily! (for IT and ripping CDs at high quality!). It has all the ports you'd ever need. it has 6 more ports tun the new macbook!

I hope I never have to let it go.

cause its old and will soon be out the door with updates

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I think it'll finally be retired when the Skylake ones come out, or perhaps before. It's living on borrowed time already as it is, IMO, just going by the release date of its CPU.

If I were in the market for one, I would get one while I still could.

Little bit of devil's advocate here: More ports = more things to break = more support costs, etc. I suspect, long-term, Apple will end up reducing the ports on the rest of their stuff and just get their customers to dongle the crap out of everything.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Are they even making them anymore? I would think at this point they're just selling old stock. Why waste the factory space? Lol.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
The retinas aren't upgradable because they already come with an SSD and at least 8GB ram.

I don't get buying a classic macbook pro now a days.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Because it has no Retina display (which to me is a huge drawback), 3 year old integrated graphics, and is also thicker and heavier than rMBPs.

A late 2013 refurb rMBP would be a lot better deal at the same price point. An external disk drive and USB Ethernet adapter can always be used.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I really like my classic MBP, especially with the upgraded SSD, RAM, and BT 4.0 card. It has served me well over the years. As much as I enjoy using my Mac, I would not buy another classic. I will buy a newer model the next time I am in need.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Who cares about upgradability any more, most people just buy it and use it until it dies.

Besides, there's no need to upgrade considering:
1. The stock parts are pretty powerful already
2. You can always max it out online. If you can't max it out but want to future proof it, then save up.

Myself, I max things out but don't believe in future proofing.

Tex599

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I just bought one yesterday to replace a mid 2012 MBA. I think I am going to return it, it's very slow compared to the SSD in the air and it takes forever to load programs, maybe I just got spoiled. The only reason I was replacing it is I keep running out of space, with the 64GB drive and thought the 500gb would be better. I think I might get the rMBP with 256GB SSD and 8mb of ram. I just run office and outlook. I am going to give it one more day at work to see, today I had to force a reboot, because it froze and force quit multiple times when stuff would hang up. I thought it would be faster than the air book, with the better processing speed.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
Keep it and put in an ssd and use the 500 as an external. The new ones cant be updated in any way. Also i believe this model is $100 cheaper on amazon. With more ram and an ssd it'll fly.

I just bought one yesterday to replace a mid 2012 MBA. I think I am going to return it, it's very slow compared to the SSD in the air and it takes forever to load programs, maybe I just got spoiled. The only reason I was replacing it is I keep running out of space, with the 64GB drive and thought the 500gb would be better. I think I might get the rMBP with 256GB SSD and 8mb of ram. I just run office and outlook. I am going to give it one more day at work to see, today I had to force a reboot, because it froze and force quit multiple times when stuff would hang up. I thought it would be faster than the air book, with the better processing speed.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a classic style late 2011 MBP but no way would I buy a new one today. After upgrading one with an SSD and more RAM, you've pretty much paid for a rMBP anyway but with an inferior processor and graphics card.

Mine is the i7 2.8GHz updated with a SSD and 16GB RAM so I'll keep it until it starts to die but my next MBP will finally be Retina and 15".

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

Don't waste another day with it - take it back.

Any upgrads you do, the retinas already come stock with.

You're accepting a slower, bulkier, heavier, inferior screened computer that requires 2 upgrades just to get the specs close to a retina...and then you're left with a substantially inferior screen!

Best buy price matches, you could walk out with a 13" retina with 256GB SSD and 8GB ram for $1,399 (current bhpphoto price that they will match).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.