The clicker button stopped working on my trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicksf, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nicksf macrumors newbie

I hope somebody here can give me some helpful info. I think my problem is that I've got a MacBook Pro (17") from late 2007 and I've also got a human toddler (32") from mid 2010 who I suspect might have banged on the trackpad.

Basically the clicker button next to my trackpad is no longer working. It seems permanently pressed, as if it just can no longer pop back up after being pressed. I can feel a definite mechanical tactile difference now, where it gives no feeling of movement or response when I press it (and of course it used to have a little feeling of clicking down and popping back up).

When I try to use it (which by reflex is pretty much ALL the time) it just acts like it's constantly selecting and dragging with no release. I can overcome this by clicking with an external USB mouse (and when I do the internal clicker seems to give up the focus).

I would categorize this problem as super-annoying. And of course my AppleCare has run out so I'm trying to figure out what I might be able to do to fix it myself. Does anybody here know how the clicker works? Is there anything I might adjust?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out!

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you may need a whole new trackpad; if u can, get to an apple store and at least find out your options...

3. matt94gt macrumors member

What he said, take it to mac, once and a while you will get a nice person that will help you out, ive even heard stories about some stores swapping parts for free if its a obvious fault and not neglect, but dont going in there expecting this. Good luck.