The clicking... Software issue?... Big deal?...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cuz03, Sep 12, 2010.

?

Do you think the clicking sound is a software issue fixable in an update? Or other.

1. Yes it is a software issue and will be fixed in an update.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No it is not a software issue.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. It is a software issue but apple will give us a solution and expect is to fix it on our own.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Other.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Cuz03 macrumors member

Also do you think it is a real big deal? I find it to not be too big a deal and am not going to exchange it.

2. applealex macrumors regular

I've only seen one video that encountered the clicking problem, the person who posted it didn't talk in it and I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear the very faint clicking. If someone spoke rather loud I'm sure that'd drown them out

I have yet to get my iPod touch 4 (coming this Wednesday) but if I have the problem I certainly won't return it since I won't be recording much video in the first place. HD video takes a lot of memory

and, as tests have pointed out, it only happens when Wi-Fi is on. So it's a software issue and I'm sure Apple is working on it and in the meantime all you need to do is turn off Wi-Fi. It's actually a good thing to do as aswell because then you save battery life.

3. Cuz03 thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I was thinking tho I am still on the border. But my parents barely agreed to drive me to apple when it came out so idk if they'll drive me back just for this. And I want to save battery by turnin off wifi and this is just another excuse for me to do it :). And apple please make the update come for the people who r non stop complaining out there.

4. fwoppers macrumors member

I have the clicking issue, and I am definitely taking mine back (I also have the light leak issue, though I probably wouldn't need to take it back if that was the sole problem). I feel that with the price paid, I should at least be able to use one of the best features of the device (720p video) while still connected to WiFi. Local Apple Store has been sold out of the 32GB, so just waiting on that.

BTW, is there a time limit of how long you can wait before you can't replace a defective item?

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Yes, I think its 14 days.

6. wootwootman macrumors member

really? then what's applecare for?

7. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

U have a 14 days return policy. After that, u can't return the item. That's what I meant. Sorry should have been more clear.

8. wootwootman macrumors member

return or exchange?

and i ordered mine from amazon, so does that change anything?

9. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Return or exchange. And I have a friend who ordered an Apple product from Amazon once, and there was something wrong with the product. So he went to the Apple store and they replaced it with no problem.

10. battlekid macrumors regular

IDK. I'm gonna buy from Best Buy so i'll ask about the return policy before i buy. Still waiting for them to get their shipment.... Hopefully i can return opened ones if i demo defects.... Too bad the nearest apple :apple: store is 2hr away :(..

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I don't know whether or not it's a software or hardware issue. It seems to me it's a hardware issue. That's what logic tells me anyway. The Wifi antenna and camera/mic are all jammed up in there together according to the stripdown that I saw online. And the mic is picking up electrical signal from the antenna. This is physics stuff. And nothing software can be done aside from temporarily disabling Wifi while the camera is running. Which isn't actually a bad idea. Temporarily disabling the Wifi while it's recording isn't really a problem. Nobody wants a Facebook update push while they're taking video anyway.

So, to sum it up, I think it's a hardware issue, but a software adjustment implemented to toggle the Wifi on and off could remedy the problem. Unless that would in turn cause a problem with Wifi. I don't know.

Either way, it sucks. I have two new 4th gen touches, and they both do it.