The Complete iOS5 Feature List

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benna, Jun 7, 2011.

1. benna, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

benna macrumors regular

Well I couldn't find an organized thread for listing out all the new features that are available in iOS 5. I dug through the OS and found over 100 new changes. I'm trying to find out all the small and big changes in iOS 5.

There is a feature list here with some of them listed. It would be nice to create a full list, organized.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

First, that is a nice list

Second, I don't think apple has included all 200 or so new features into the first beta of iOS 5.

3. benna thread starter macrumors regular

We could try listing out the stuff that are included right now :)

4. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Great list! can't wait for the update!

I personally don't think the developers will be pee'd off due to the release of the notification & camera app! healthy bit of competition me thinks, it just makes the developers step up their game and incorporate the same codes in their apps!

And i for one will find it hard to stop using my 2Do and Camera + apps :D

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That feature is a big plus

7. MACis122 macrumors regular

the LED alerts lead me to believe the next iPhone will def have an indicator

8. benna thread starter macrumors regular

Apple should let users choose what camera app to open when the lockscreen button is pressed, it would be a plus for developers like taptaptap and Camera+

9. biggy52 macrumors regular

No. 36
    New Facetime option in Settings window. You can also set your facetime caller ID to be your email or your phone number

Does that mean i no longer have to wait for activation for facetime on my simcard. And no SMS sending business? And if im in a foreign country with no sim on the iphone, i can still make facetime calls using WiFi?

10. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Good idea! especially if they have the developers best interests in mind!! might be worth you dropping the idea into them :D

11. benna thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

It looks like the option is just for Caller ID. I'm not sure if it would work without a SIM. But technically its possible that apple could allow activations using the email address rather than the mobile number, just like in iPod. May be anyone here could figure out this from the screenshot above?

12. biggy52 macrumors regular

Maybe you could please try removing ur simcard, and then go to the facetime option , and see if you can switch facetime ON with your apple ID.
    I would appreciate that :)

13. benna thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried that out and Facetime works!

I tried switching OFF and ON, and facetime simply works. ;):apple::D

14. biggy52 macrumors regular

Thanks alot. FINALLY facetime can be activated even for the dumbest iphone user. "it just works" lol

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Great list and clean layout, although I'd have included screenshots right under the feature listed, not on the bottom.

Hopefully!

16. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Great list! Looking forward to Fall :)

Yeah, definitely.

17. benna thread starter macrumors regular

Hope they don't make it the selling point for next iPhone.

18. ITCrazy macrumors newbie

19. Darkrider macrumors member

Darkrider

So here's my take one all these list put there about the features the are counting every little thing the new feature is doing... So what I, getting at is there are way less feature in the beta than what people are counting. In the keynote the covered everything that notifiction center did as one feature same goes for imessage yet every one is counting everything they both do as a new feature when In fact the are just what the feature does...

20. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I'm sure you are correct, after all it's only just been announced and even though they've been working on it awhile, it takes time for an upgrade of this nature.

21. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

half the "features"

Half of these "features" are bug fixes. The ability to mark multiple emails read is not a feature in my mind. Its 2011 not 2000. I feel like im ranting but its horrible how they try to repackage normal abilities of phones and act like theyre revolutionary.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    But with the iPhone is not if it has what every other phone does but how it's implemented and ease of use.