The cooler temperature alone is worth the upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcorban, Oct 18, 2008.

1. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I had a late 2007 model 2.2Ghz MacBook. It was hot. Cook my future babies hot. When I would hit Youtube, the fans would come on full blast. Load up Civ IV? Fans on full blast. Sometimes just sitting in bed with it would trigger the fans due to reduced air flow. Run Bittorrent? Fans on full blast. Encode tracks to AAC? Fans on. My friend has the exact same model with the exact same behavior.

I snagged the new 2.0Ghz MacBook. This this runs cool. Super cool. Super quiet. Even under the highest stress, I barely hear the fan. I can encode AAC and watch an HD video at the same time, in total silence. Now I can play Civ IV without being forced to use headphones just so I can hear the sound over the fans.

This unmarketed "feature" alone is worth the money for the upgrade.

2. azdmelani macrumors member

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I agree. The fans on my 2.4 have only come on once or twice. I was installing XP Pro in VMWare Fusion. This notebook is amazing!

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Same here... whenever I used my old 2.0 Macbook while in a chair somewhere I would feel like I was on fire after about 10 minutes

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

You can't really judge it that quickly. When I got my MBP it was also quiet and cool (relative to the first intel MBP's). Then over time, as the fans and vents began to clog up with dust it grew hotter and hotter. I remember stressing my MBP once with the Folding@home project and the highest the CPU went was ~75C but now it regularly hits 70+C even watching non-HD videos. I do want to get the new MBP's though if its really that much of a difference :)

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

What kind of temps are your new macbooks hitting?

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

85-100 F with SMCFancontrol at 3000RPM. Much cooler than my Penryn Macbook Pro.

8. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

What is the CPU load at when it hits those temps?