The Craigslist Idiocy Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queen of Spades, May 15, 2011.

1. Queen of Spades, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

My girlfriend is in the market for a MBP, so I've been helping her scan craigslist for decent deals. I emailed this guy about his 2010 MBP (2.66 i7 version) simply asking what the Apple Care status was.

His response was classic - either the guy's a total liar, or he knows jack about computers/Apple Care policy/hard drive prices:

RE: Apple Care status

"It ended April 19. Machine in perfect condition. You can order Apple Care yourself for the next two years if you choose.

Important note, there is another quad core available which is only a 2.O quad core compared to my 2.66 dual core (my top of the line dual core is faster than this bottom of the line quad core) and once again you'd need top spend $100 to upgrade the Hard drive to the faster 7200RPM on top of the retail price of over $1800 which Amazon asks for the lower end (2.0 GHz quad core).

I send this so you have a clear picture of the differences in the machines and in the prices, if not for buying from me, for buying from anyone, the different models and their comparisons can be confusing. Not every quad core is better or faster than every dual core, especically when factoring in price. My model has a Hitachi 500GB 7200 and is blazing fast."

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I assume the guy was trying to be helpful and "guide" you but probably has little knowledge about computers, like quite a few mac users and you thought it would be fun to pay him out on macrumors .... With links to the actual posting , and take the time to make the guy feel bad by correcting everything he wrote??? Do you feel better about yourself ? A little smug? Sorry mate, don't see the humour in this.

3. Queen of Spades, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You really think it's that big a deal? It's not meant to be humor, it's surprise and skepticism at the level of ignorance displayed, and craigslist is totally public - but I'll edit it. I wasn't intending for people's feelings to get hurt.

Also, if you don't know anything about computers, trying to "guide" anyone should be the last thing you do, especially when that guidance is to tell them that the computer you're selling is better than new ones. Come on, he's not trying to be helpful despite his ignorance, he's clearly trying to get someone who doesn't know enough about computers to buy his load of BS.

But, as I said, I wasn't trying to change the focus to the stupid link, so I edited.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You're assuming malice without reason.

Being a MacRumors forum nerd it may be hard for you to realize how ignorant most people are regarding basic information concerning computers. I used to do Mac tech support in undergrad, and it blew my mind how little professors knew, yet they thought they knew what they were talking about, just like this guy.

5. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

All I know is be careful. Just read about an 18 year old college kid in San Diego who went to buy a computer from Craigslist for $600, and when he showed up, three gang teens robbed him and his gf. And when he chased their car in his to see the license plate number, one of them shot him dead. Pretty messed up.

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I don't get buying stuff off of Craigslist. Unless I'm buying something from a store, I really don't want to have close contact with a stranger while buying/selling something.

At least with ebay you can be reasonably sure that the UPS guy isn't going to stab you when you get your item.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I've never used craigslist to buy something myself, but one could argue that it's safer than eBay because you can verify what you are buying. As long as you aren't stupid and insist on meeting in a public place, you won't get stabbed.

8. dslrjunky macrumors regular

I think there are some good deals to be had in craigslist if you use your common sense.. if you know exactly what your looking for I think CL is a good place to buy items for cheap, of course its only for items that you can put off until a good deal comes..

9. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

There's plenty of good reason to assume malice on craigslist - namely there are a lot of rip-off artists. My friend got scammed when she bought an aluminum MacBook from someone that had a fried GPU. When it got hot enough, it caused the computer to white screen and shut off. Obviously when we tested the computer in Starbucks, it was cold and worked fine. She ended up with a $700 doorstop - so yeah, there's reason to be slightly suspicious of a post full of misinformation that seems to suggest a higher price for the item in question.

Even if the guy wasn't being intentionally misleading, he's giving awfully detailed hardware performance details without knowing what he's talking about. If you don't know what you're talking about, there's no need to pretend.

I may be a "forum nerd," but I wouldn't try and sell a car and blather on about how the horsepower in my car is better for gas or some such BS if I didn't know for sure.

I read about that, it's horrible. I almost never go to a person's house, unless it's the middle of the day and I have someone with me. 10:30pm is way too late. Not that the poor kid deserved to be killed, but there's too many crazy people out there to risk it. Meeting at Starbucks or other public places is the way to go.

I agree. While I will always and forever be wary after that aluminum MacBook fiasco, I've always personally had good luck and good experiences with craigslist. As long as you do your homework and don't go for the "too good to be true" posts, there are deals to be had. And I've met some cool people from it.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a mean b****.

10. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

I just sold a five year old Macbook on Craigslist. Here's an approximate breakdown of the responses to my ad:

-Four scammers
    -Two people trying to low-ball me
    -Three serious inquiries, and sold to one of these at a good price (met them at Starbucks for the transaction)

Even though I got a good price, I'd probably use ebay next time, just to avoid the hassle of the scammers and game players, even if I netted less.

11. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have bought and sold roughly 250 items on craigslist.
    I also root peoples android phones on the side for pretty decent money.
    (Roughly 150 phones for an average of 40 bucks a pop = 6000 bucks.. great side cash)

Every person i have met has been average or even very cool..no losers at all. Ive hung out with a couple of them. And a football player haha

If im making a larger transactions, my .40 pistol isnt far from me in the car. But I hope i never need it.

If you are smart and careful, craigslist is wonderful. I have bought a macbook air off there and sold it for a hundred bucks more after i played with it :)

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I agree, but I think the poster thought he knew what he was talking about. This is what I was trying to say earlier––in computer land there seems to be a void between where you are inexperienced and where you're competent, where people think they are competent when they really aren't. There were the kinds of professors who would always mess their computers up, because they would know enough to mess around, but not enough to know what they were doing.

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

I've bought and sold lots of stuff on Craigslist. it is nearly as safe as the classified ads people used to put in the newspaper. Of course, the ability to freely post attracts the crazies, so you just have to take a few extra precautions. You always take care to meet the person during the day, preferably in a public location, and be careful to thoroughly inspect whatever you buy.

It doesn't really matter much how savvy the guy is or not if the computer is nice. You're not buying him. I'd explain to him that you called Apple and they said Applecare is unavailable. And, say you looked around and it looks like he overpriced the item by X amount of dollars. Plus, there are scratches all over the computer, so you are thinking about just going the safe route and getting a refurbished one from Apple for Y dollars. If he'd be willing to accept Z amount, you'll take it.

That seems fair to me. If he freaks out and stomps out of Starbucks with his espresso, let him go, enjoy your drink, and go windowshop at a nearby Apple store :)

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You have every right to be bent out of shape, but take a step back - his agenda is not aligned with yours nor will it ever be just like the infamous used car stealer - just a fact of life nothing really surprising here to me.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

CL is not even safe for Hookers anymore ... I would avoid CL at all costs

16. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

^^ I agree, it's not safe at all. Plus I don't think it's worth the risk ^^

17. dslrjunky macrumors regular

there's no hookers on CL only masseuse... :D

depending on your neck of the woods and sometimes getting greedy clouds our judgement even when deal is too good to be true..

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think Craigslist is fine. How unsafe could it be to meet someone at a Starbucks and sell a computer?

Speaking from experience (not from media fanned flames of fear) this works very well. I've sold a bunch of stuff this way, including a couple of computers and a zune. How many of you have actually experienced an attack or some scam?

I've sold furniture sets, bicycles, air-conditioners, and all sorts of other household goods as well on craigslist from my home. That one takes a little bit more effort (do it at a time when neighbors are home, hide the valuables, have a friend over if possible, etc.). But, that is just common sense.

Craigslist is fine. It's the crazies that are the problem. And, crazies are all over the place. Avoid the crazies (usually with too good to be true ads / responses) and you'll be OK.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if you apply some common sense (which the majority of this world doesn't have), then you'll be fine.

20. crush500 macrumors member

Craigslist freaks me out. I've seen way top many deals that seem way too good to be true that I just stopped looking. It really isn't worth the risk to me. I'll pay a little extra and know I got something that isn't a complete piece of ****.

I know some people who swear by Craigslist. I just don't see the reward to the risk. It only takes that one time for you to get completely screwed and/or killed. Most of the prices that seem legit on CL just don't seem to be worth it. I'd rather spend an extra $50 and get a refurbished machine from Apple than then save that $50 and take the risk of getting scammed.

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yeah. There is a lot of crap out there, and you have to work unnecessarily hard (at times) to get good deals. Although I sell a lot on Craigslist, I generally don't buy anything there. It's not because I don't trust people. It's because I am lazy. I'd prefer to spend a bit more money if I can avoid leaving the house. Maybe my hermit-like tendencies have helped to protect me from the crazies!

22. dslrjunky macrumors regular

1. meet in a public and safe place
    2. bring a someone when possible
    3. dont accept larger than $20 bills
    4. for f*uK sakes dont meet in the middle of the night..
    5. if deal is too good to be true, it is..
    6. trust your instinct
    7. should atleast + 50% off retail to be worth the hassle..
    8. buy something that has atleast warranty to it, or can be verified to still have warranty or can be extended..