The Currious case of the 2.4 i5 MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RAMtheSSD, Jun 3, 2013.

1. RAMtheSSD macrumors member

RAMtheSSD

Ok, so I love having lots of ram even when I don't need it and it appears that if I had bought a 13 inch MBP (mid 2010) instead of a 15 inch MBP (mid 2010) I would be able to install 16 gb of ram (OWC makes a kit)! Supposedly, a firmware update makes it possible for the 13 inch MBP to take the extra ram. The problem is that there are 13 inch MBP with the i5 520M and the Intel specs archive says that this processor only supports 8gb of ram! The model specs that apple provides MC37XLL/A where X is 1 for the 2.4 15 inch and 4 for the 2.4 13 inch and, on Apple's website, both support only 8gb. One would think that the users of a 17 inch with the i7 would need the most ram rather than the users of a 13 inch i5 so that providing the firmware update only to the 13 inch machines seems odd to say the least. I've been told that the motherboards are different but I see no evidence to support that. Moreover, the processor would seem to be the same on both machines and would seem to utilize the same chipset.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Could this be registered ram? -I do not know if so-dimms come in that variety or if laptops support that configuration- how different could the firmware be between these machines?

2. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Start with low density 1066mhz RAM, I have heard of people using 16GB on there own MacBooks some even used the RAM from there Mac Mini for that.