The D1G174L D1v1d3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Sorry for the awkward title. I'll get onto that later.

Anyways, For school I need to do a research project on the, D1G174L D1v1d3. Basically the gap between those who have and those who dont have access to digital things such as internet or any sort of technology.

I know that everyone on this forum is technologically inclined but many people out there in places such as central Africa and rural Asia. What is Macrumors' opinion on this problem. I know there are things such as the OLPC but this has already been mentioned by my teacher and I don't think I should really refer to it much.

Please note, this is just part of my research as the rest of the task involves all sorts of stuff like getting solutions and ways around it and how it affects my country. I'm just hoping to see the different opinions here.

Oh, I used 1337 speak in the title so that my class mates dont find this page using a search engine.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the divide will always exist. It's not because some people are richer than others. The divide will always exist because there are some cultures that aren't built around technological availability, so there's not as great a need to stay current.

I can't even imagine what Japan would look like if all of a sudden, Japan and Australia swapped the technology available within our countries, including all services available using this technology. I mean, if Australians got Japan's mobile phone network and lived very high-tech lives, while the Japanese got slow internet at high prices, lost mobile internet connection, mobile internet TV, etc. Sure, Australia currently has a lot of this technology, but nobody uses it, and the infrastructure isn't really in place to support a wide number of everyday users. In Japan, my girlfriend checks the bus and train schedule on her mobile phone. Her phone is 2 years old, comes with a fantastic camera, a fingerprint reader, and cost her $30 used.

Likewise, if you live in the sticks, and you have no access to this sort of technology, your life is still OK if you have never watched TV on your Sony PSP.

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think the divide isn't just in terms of uber high tech capabilities like watch PSP-TV but even watching normal TV. although the digital divide could also extend to those afraid of technology, mainly really old people as they dont enjoy the prospect of technology working in their lives.

4. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I guess no one here is affected by this problem and thus doesn't want to reply or comment?