The Daily is just utterly unusable!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iansilv, Feb 13, 2011.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

This is really frustrating! I like the writing quality, I want to read it- but it takes so long got download a new issue when it is loaded! Are there any indications that 4.3 will have as an option background downloading of subscription content?

Thank you for any thoughts.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've seen no indication of background downloading. The app is flashy, laggy and unusable.

3. zoman504 macrumors regular

I'm actually enjoying it. It's only taking me a few minutes to download the daily updates too.

4. ghostwriter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

"Unusable" for a lot of reasons, even after the most recent update. I really want to like this app, but the constant crashing makes it a painful reading experience. There's no way I'll be paying for this app after the trial period expires.

5. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's he way it was at first- I liked it then. But it started crashing so I relOaded after deleting, keeps crashing. I still think it would be much better with background downloading.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I honestly prefer something simpler. The USA Today app is superb.

7. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Mine was working great until today, and now crashing 30 seconds intoopening the app. What the hell?

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

We're on what... the third software update? And it's still a complete piece of garbage. Way to go Rupert Murdoch.

After all the hype about this e-magazine, I can't believe how poorly written the software is. UI lag, content that doesn't load, delays, crashing, you name it. A two month delay in launch would have made a whole lot more sense. I can see the real reason why they are extending the free subscription - because the app sucks. Shameful. Truly shameful.

Here's some advice Mr. Murdoch: Cut back on the eye candy and just make the core experience work. An iPad periodical should have a silky-smooth UI above all else.

9. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I subscribed to it, because I love the content, but it's super buggy now. It crashes constantly now....as of the latest update.

10. maliu macrumors 6502a

Daily fix.....

Make you delete the first version before you update with the newest one. If you install over the old one it will still crash. It is quite stable for me since I did that.

11. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I really like the app too! It crashes all the time though. I have reinstalled the app on numerous occasions and it seems to work ok for about 12 hours after an install and then it's back to crashing. Any other ideas?

12. Hobbes. macrumors regular

How does it work, do you download them issue and then you have it?

Or can you only read it when you have a connection either wifi or 3G.

If you download it, is it stored on the ipad if so how big are the files?

I am very much wanted to purchase an iPad and the daily is one reason why.

13. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

haha I'm so glad I saw this post. i came on macrumors today ONLY to start a threat seeing if I was alone in this constant crash cycle I experience with theDaily. I mean, I absolutely love the user-interface and "relationship" you feel with the articles while reading them with the in-page videos, pictures, and finger swiping. Yet, its laggy, slow, unresponsive, and crashes almost every read. How can they not fix this yet? I mean, people WILL NOT pay for this if it does not change before the trial period runs out (if it ever does haha)

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

Given the extreme hype they put behind this, and Apple's strong presence in the launch, it's just sad that it rolled out this way. They really should have waited. This is not the kind of user experience I expect on a flagship iPad app. Not even close.

15. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I was having a lot of problems with this app, too. It would take like a minute before any content would show up and it would crash every couple of minutes.

However, once I deleted it and reinstalled it, everything has been functioning fine. Issues load in about 20 seconds and it hasn't crashed since I did this two days ago.

Still not sure I'll subscribe, but it's working fine now.

16. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

This is a lackluster app. I can't stand the navigation.

17. EmmEff macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind the navigation if it was responsive...

I agree. For flagship app, The Daily has failed to deliver. It crashed on me 3-4 times last night while I was reading content and it was downloading in the background.

18. CYnthiaBlue44 macrumors newbie

CYnthiaBlue44

I'm enjoying The Daily

I haven't had the crashing problem yet. I'm enjoying The Daily and it's format. I don't know if I'll pay for it when my free subscription ends. I probably would if there was an Australian version and I assume there will be if the American version is a success.

As with all things related to the web, I'm patient. Well sometimes, I'm patient. I appreciate the fact that refining websites takes time and it's not until people start to use it that functionality problems arise. It's amazing the variations people find when accessing a website. It takes time and dedication to create beautiful things.

I believe that news publishers should be paid for their work. Everyone should be paid for their work. So I say, well done Mr Murdoch. Develop something "grand" for us and we'll pay for it.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I like the multi media concept of this app, and I don't have any issues with crashing...

My beef is the severely biased content. So much Obama bashing and right wing articles.

I still like the app but most likely won't pay for it.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Daily just joined the list entitled "Apps I've deleted from my iPad"

I had mixed feelings when The Daily was announced. On the one hand, I was concerned about it being the iPad version of Fox News. On the other, Rupert Murdoch is somewhat of a visionary (there's that word again) and I applauded his attempt to bring paid journalism to the online word.

There was a lot to like about The Daily: a fair price, innovative use of photography, links, and video. An appealing layout. Complaints, such as a complete absence of a Business section and too much fashion and Hollywood gossip, seemed like the sort of things that would get sorted out in time.

I never expected to encounter such a terrible technical experience with an iPad App. In the eight months I've had my iPad, I've had apps crash on me maybe two or three times. But The Daily was a total disaster. After running "OK" for a week or so, each new update made the crashing problem worse. I removed and reinstalled, rebooted and resynched - all to no avail. At this point I - quite literally - cannot read a one page article, or type in a few words on the crossword - without the App crashing.

I'm surprised Apple gave approval for this App to be in the Store. It simply fails the most basic test for software ie. run reliably.

Apple ought to immediately pull The Daily from the App Store until such point as it can be made to run without crashing. Maybe the developers bit off more than they could chew. A little less "gee whiz" and a little more solid writing would, absent the crashing problem, have made me a Subscriber.

But at this point, there is no way I'm going to be a paying guinea pig for someone's programming experiment.

21. EmmEff macrumors regular

I deleted "The Daily" last night... 4 crashes in a row happened with the latest version while I was reading content. So very annoying, so they can fix it before I look again.

22. morphineseason macrumors regular

I find that it's been very usable after they released the "update" (which was actually a re-install + update). My problem with it is that there isn't much in the app that can't be found for free with a simple iPad RSS reader, such as Pulse, or for a little cash, The Early Edition. The RSS readers usually come packed with great news sources, and if you don't like what they provide, they're very customizable.