The Daily loses 10 million in 1Q

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by balconycollapse, May 4, 2011.

1. balconycollapse macrumors regular

2. henchman macrumors 6502a

Real journalism.

3. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I liked it, but it took forever to update, it didn't seem to be "current" news from that day, more like news articles of various topics, but not absolute recent news.

Not to mention it was buggy, crashed, and felt like it was a little "too much" if that makes any sense. If they simplify it a bit, make the packages it receives much smaller so the updates don't take forever, and just make it a good news source, rather than trying to hard to be groundbreaking, then it'll fare much better.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Exactly. Offer me something unique that I can't get as good or better through other free and legal sources, and maybe I might consider it. But I haven't heard of anything yet that paid iPad "magazines" do better, cheaper, or faster than what I can already get on the web.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

When you have free, personalized magazines like Zite and Flipboard, The Daily doesn't stand a chance.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shut it down. I give it 6 more months, tops.

7. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

What I didn't liked about the Daily:

slow. Why do I have to wait till "today's edition" is downloaded when I should be able to start reading something (headlines?) right away?

no option to view back issues.

Didn't have enough. Needs more articles I like.

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think it has very little to do with apps like Flipboard. I believe that there is a market for a well-thought out, pre-curated daily news magazine for the price of the Daily. The Daily's problems were the buggy app and the poor content.

9. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Daily app is fine, at least since the latest updates.

The content quality leaves to be desired though - most articles are either AP produced.. or very thin. It just has "content farm" written all over it, I am surprise they can't do better with a dedicated staff of journalists.

10. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Flipboard is great. I agree that there is just too much free alternative ways to get your news.

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

personally I think the issue with The Daily was not the content at all. It was the APP. The APP IS TERRIBLE!

• Its unstable
    • it doesn't follow any of the iPad design guidelines
    • when your reading something and go to check the weather or whatever you come back and you have to see that daily logo fly in!
    • it doesn't save where you were last
    • updating the issue in the morning was always a bit slow
    I wanted to like it, and honestly, I liked the journalism they provided. It wasn't ground breaking, it wasn't WSJ by any means, but it was a paper for the iPad generation. Easy to read, magazine style, lots of good pictures and typography. But Jesus, the APP WAS TERRIBLE! You would think they would just allow it to run like a normal app. Allow you to download your subscription when you log in, allow you to read the latest issue then leave the app and come back where you left off.. What a concept.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Isn't this the truth. I haven't used the Daily but then again, ZITE is my favorite app and I use it alllll the time.