The Daily (no subscription?)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by pvmacguy, Mar 22, 2011.

1. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

When The Daily was released I downloaded it under the assumption of just using it until the trial ran out. Sunday was the day it ran out and I tried using it yesterday to my surprise it still downloaded and let me read the entire thing yet under the settings I have no subscription. Low and behold today it worked as well!

Anyone else having this same occurrence as me? I also checked the CC on my iTunes account and I have not been charged a .99 weekly fee or the yearly one of any kind.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Did you check your acct. info? Maybe they extended it. I know the did for me a couple times. Eventually they cut me off, but no big loss.

3. pvmacguy thread starter macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Yes, under the account info it says that I need to sign-in or subscribe yet it still downloads the new issue and let's me read it each day.

4. pvmacguy thread starter macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well it still is downloading the new issues all this week without having any kind of subscription. Must be a bug in their app.

5. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

They keep extending the free trial. It's possible that it's now through April or something. I remember recently (not sure how recent) it was extended "another 3 weeks".

6. jdcell100 macrumors regular

The daily

Iv been subscribing to the daily I'm going to say last 4 or 5 weeks I can't remember the 99cents I week. I got an email from them I'm getting a 5 dollar I tune credit or card I'll have to check email again. For being a loyal customer I thought that was pretty cool. Plus I love the daily app

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

They see the mass leaving the app even when free

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Daily isn't doing very well. It's rumoured to have only about 20,000 or so paying subscribers at this stage, according to some media/publishing reports I read a couple of weeks ago, news that won't necessarily be widely-reported in the tech press.

So they'll extend the freebies for a while in the hope that you'll get used to it.

9. RCGMac macrumors regular

The Daily is going to have to substantially up the depth of their stories before I will subscribe. Most stories I read have been less than a page of content.

10. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Im surprised it dosen't just link with the online publications that are part of Newscorp, and then just add some editorials and multimedia as a bonus.

The layout is nice, but with the resources they have, they could make it so much better.