The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So...what do you think of the new Daily Show?

Personally, I think they handled everything just about perfectly. Short tribute to Jon, Trevor introducing himself a little, then on to the news, just as before.

I saw the first episode on On Demand only last night, and I was a little concerned because I'd read lukewarm reviews. One said that Noah was a little too hyper. Another said he was imitating Jon Stewart. Well, the former was not true, and the latter...yeah, I'll admit, he did look like he was trying to be Jon.

But to me, that wasn't a bad thing. It helped ease me into the show. It makes it easier, at least for me, to like a different host. And really, Jon's facial expressions and delivery were so pitch-perfect...why screw up a good thing? I'm sure that as Noah settles into the job he'll bring his own shtick to it, and we'll all grow used to that as well.

And frankly, this was one of the funniest Daily Shows I've seen in a while. I have to believe that while there's a new guy on camera, the same witty writers are working behind the scenes. The political comedy didn't exactly skewer anybody...yet...but it was very funny.

BTW, who the hell does the graphics for this show? They're really good enough to be on a real network newscast. And I like the new font. (Isn't that Gotham?)

If anything was emblematic of the show, it was the opening credits. While the graphics were new and snazzy, befitting a new guy in the anchor chair, they kept the same music and the same open: "September 28th, 2015! From Comedy Central world news headquarters, this is The Daily Show with Trevor Noah!" A soothing synergy of new and old.

Good job, Comedy Central. And good job, Trevor. At first glance, the show is in good hands.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Haven't watched yet but was dismayed at all the reviews after a single episode. I read one where, based on estimated overnight ratings, faulted Noah for not bringing in a slew of younger viewers. It was one ****inh night you irresponsible so-called journalists.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

This gave me a little chuckle.

Attached Files:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sadly, one may often get more truthful "news" from The Daily Show than MSM outlets.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah nothing says "truthful" like a show that takes a small soundbite totally out of context and going on rant.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think he was awkward and uncomfortable. He still needs to find his voice and his style. He has moments where his personality comes through, and other moments where it is clear he is trying to imitate Jon Stewart's style (not sure whether that is his fault of the writers' fault).

It's said that a talk-show host needs 100 episodes to really get comfortable and find the right voice. Look at Larry Wilmore, for example.

I'll stick with Trevor Noah for at least 100 episodes before really judging whether he is a good replacement for Jon Stewart.

I do hope he is successful. As much as some people dismiss it, The Daily Show presents current events in a much better way than pretty much all other cable news shows, in my opinion.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

ANd that differs from the MSM how?

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Touché

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Jon Stewart took the show into a news commentary. Craig Kilborn's show was straight satire. What Trevor does with the show is anyones guess. He said he wants to keep the news element in but who knows how long that lasts.