'The Daily' to Lead the Way on iPad Magazine Subscriptions, Skip iAds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite the fact that the launch of News Corp.'s tablet-focused news publication has reportedly been pushed back by a few weeks from its rumored introduction next week and with the prospect of a joint Steve Jobs-Rupert Murdoch media event now apparently off the table with Jobs' medical leave of absence, The Daily is still being looked to as a model for Apple's plans with respect to recurring subscription billing for magazine and newspaper content.

The New York Times takes a look at magazine and newspaper subscriptions for the iPad, and how publishers continue to be frustrated by the lack of such options for their subscribers and Apple's insistence regarding control over subscriber information.
    The report notes that other publications are expected to have a similar arrangement with Apple for subscription-based billing on the iPad, but no such deals have yet been struck with Condé Nast, Hearst or Time Inc., three of the major publishers with existing presences on the App Store.

Also on the topic of The Daily, Ad Age plays to its focus on advertising in noting that the publication has lined up an impressive list of launch sponsors coming in with support at flat-fee rates rather than any flavor of impression-based pricing.
    But while The Daily will be iPad-exclusive at launch, the publication is expected to move to other platforms over time, and the publication is keeping a more flexible approach to advertising by eschewing Apple's iAd platform in favor of selling and serving ad content through mobile ad firm Medialets.
    Contrary to numerous previous claims of The Daily being priced at 99 cents per week, Ad Age claims that the publication will cost 99 cents per day after a two-week trial period, with fresh news content being pushed to subscribers throughout the day.

Article Link: 'The Daily' to Lead the Way on iPad Magazine Subscriptions, Skip iAds

2. notabadname, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Nice to see this finally happen. I plan on subscribing. Wow, actually first?

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

hum.. a dollar a week? success.
    a dollar a day? I predict failure...

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Where do I sign up. To quote Robocop (the movie, not the character)... I'd buy that for a dollar.

News Corp seems to be a favorite / darling of Apple and Steve Jobs, so perhaps they will have the skinny on Apple news?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. DrRadon macrumors regular

It´s Fox News, i´ed only take it free to laugh at it.

7. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Maybe $5.00/ month, but a buck a day makes it cost more than the WSJ. Too much for me too.

8. E.Lizardo macrumors 68000

Yes I was going to try it @$1 per week,won't even trial it if it will be going to $365 per year.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

$0.99/day would be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

11. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Sounds like there is some potential there, although I echo others that the price might be high. Will have to wait and see what you get for the money.

12. mefck macrumors member

That price point is way too high. I imagine only the most devoted Foxies will snatch this up.

13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

How about...

99 cents per day = inflation

The USD index has gotten its teeth kicked in during the last two years. Perhaps they are planning ahead for the future?

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

15. mefck macrumors member

For those who think this venture is a reflection on Steve's politics:

16. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Interesting that Virgin is sponsoring it since they have their own competing iPad only magazine (Project) although it's not a "news" magazine (I put news in quotes since we're talking about Murdoch here).

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

18. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

19. DanWillis macrumors newbie

I suspect that the NY Times has the pricing right at $1 per week. As has been demonstrated here $1 / day isn't going to fly and both Jobs and Murdoch should know that.

In this case AdAge is probably just muddying the water.

20. gerhardb macrumors newbie

gerhardb

21. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

agreed. $1 per day plus advertising sponsorship? please.

22. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

ROFL. What idiot would pay $30 a month for news that is going to be on the Internet anyway? :D

And it's News Corp, so it's unreliable anyway.

23. mefck macrumors member

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

Ok, I'll admit $1 per week is a step in the right direction, but...

How in hades can an electonic version of any magazine cost more than the printed versions. This isn't even a conversion, it's a new, custom for iPad "e-letter" for all intents and purposes. Ok, $1 per week is way more reasonable than some of the first prices, but I can buy any number of magazines in print, that are mailed to me monthly for $10 or $20 bucks a year. Even at $1 per week, it's a $48 subscription and they have eliminated printing and shipping costs. I'm guessing the same writing staff, with the same computer hardware are making the electronic version just as if they were setting it all up for the printing presses.

What am I missing that all the sudden makes these subscriptions triple and quadruple in prices?