Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2.0 GHz base model aluminum macbook. With the stock 2 GB RAM, OS X definitely feels sluggish whenever I run VMWare Fusion + Win XP. Today, I finally upgraded to 4 GB RAM. What a difference!

Now I cannot noticed any lag what so ever: I'm converting a movie with Handbrake (OS X), loading photoshop in Windows and loading Word in Mac all at the same time. I can now run 5 or 6 (or more) apps at the same time, and they all feel fast as if I am just running a single app. It's just amazing!

If you haven't done it, you should really consider upgrading the RAM.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I wonder how much faster they will run with 6 gbs. I noticed a difference with four gigs on my 2.4ghz al mb, but I see there is a price drop on the four gig chips now.

Wonder if Snow Leopard will let us see 8 gigs on the new Macbooks?

animaxcg

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
happy to here your running fast

you can put 8gb of ram in right now, but its reported to be buggy
ps 8gb costs a lot of $

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
It makes such a big difference eh? I got them to upgrade to 4gb in store. Saved me $150.00. But yeah, amazing difference. I don't know if 4gb's will be necessary when snow leopard is released though.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I have a 2.0 GHz base model aluminum macbook. With the stock 2 GB RAM, OS X definitely feels sluggish whenever I run VMWare Fusion + Win XP. Today, I finally upgraded to 4 GB RAM. What a difference!

Now I cannot noticed any lag what so ever: I'm converting a movie with Handbrake (OS X), loading photoshop in Windows and loading Word in Mac all at the same time. I can now run 5 or 6 (or more) apps at the same time, and they all feel fast as if I am just running a single app. It's just amazing!

If you haven't done it, you should really consider upgrading the RAM.

Which RAM did you end up getting?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Is It possible to use 6Gb of ram???? i thought it was a maximum of 4GB ???
6 GB is possible, it's just not officially supported by Apple. This is common with Apple products, especially when newer, larger capacity RAM sticks become available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.