The deal is done!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hukuma, Aug 20, 2008.

1. hukuma macrumors newbie

Well...I just pulled the trigger on a new iMac, and it feels GGGRRREEEAAAT (Tony the Tiger voice, for those who remember those commercials).
    I sold (almost gifted) my 17 MBP to my in-laws; we never took it off the desk. My wife (not terribly literate on the ways of computing) never liked the fact that it got super hot and that we always have to have it plugged into an external drive to access the full library of files that we have (lossless music) (this was before we got airport extreme).
    So, this is what I got:
    3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
    4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GS W/512MB
    1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
    APPLE WIRELESSS MIGHTY MOUSE
    WL KYBD & USER'S GUIDE

I am a happy man. Did I spend more than I needed to on the RAM...sure. Do I want to live with myself if I screw something up whilst installing myself...no.

I'll be loading up all my software (Logic Studio, Photoshop CS3, etc) this weekend, assuming it arrives by Friday. Which leads me to a question...why does it take so long to configure these things?! I ordered it Monday night and it still hasn't shipped. Ship it out for gosh sakes! I'm currently left only with my trusty Powerbook G4 at home, as my mother-in-law left town with the MBP on Monday!

All the best,
    Hukuma

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Congrats! I'm envious! I'm chugging along with my Macbook and Dell desktop. Hopefully I'll replace the Dell with an iMac someday :eek:

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Congrats. I fully understand your reluctance to upgrade the RAM yourself eventhough it would be much cheaper than letting Apple do it. I know it is easy to upgrade RAM yourself, but if by a freak accident something happens you would void the warranty on your new purchase. I guess everyone has to ask themselves if it is worth the risk for $80.00(I don't know the prices for the iMac). Well it was $80.00 for me on my Macbook. You can buy 4GB of RAM for a Macbook for about $95-100(I know you can get it less when it is on sell, but you have to install it yourself). Apple will sell it installed for $180.

I'm sure most will say to upgrade it yourself though.