iPad The death of the iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by acctman, Mar 21, 2016.

1. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

the price reduction with no update death march has begun. The Mini will get simalir feature of the pro next year. This year it'll probably get 3D Touch and a faster processor, maybe 4 speakers and cam improvement.

But, I don't see an iPad Air 3 roadmap

2. Serban Suspended

3. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I don't see it dead.. they probably won't update it for a while. Like the airport express.. easy money..

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't think Apple will be shy about keeping it around at a lower pricepoint. Look at how long the iPad 2 hung around. The mini has never been a great seller, and the Pro lineup needs to keep a premium price with all those extra features. There is absolutely room in the line for a $399 Air which is just down on features compared to the much more expensive Pros.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Maybe u missed something. Which "extra features" are you talking about?

Faster Processor?
    Better Camera?
    Same weight?
    Same size?
    Smart Connector? (Requires $150 accessory purchase)
    Pencil? (Requires $100 accessory purchase)

The iPad Pro 9.7 is a fantastic machine but everything in there is simply technology evolving. (If anything, Apple has been short changing users for years by giving lesser cameras, impractical storage capacities and unsatisfactory RAM in already Premium priced iPads)

Nothing here shouldve have resulted in a price increase or a change in name. So as much as I like the product, I don't like that Apple is using hype to complicate a product line and increase profits.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, the ability to connect to external devices like a keyboard and the inclusion of a digitizer layer are 'extra' features. The same could be argued for the best camera ever tucked inside an iPad. Raising the price by $100 for those, plus the extra storage, is not exactly a stretch.

The OP asked what was likely to happen with the Air line. I maintain that they will continue it on as a ~$399 device without a digitizer or smart connector, and slightly inferior specs otherwise.