The death of the Macintosh

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by funknofresh, Jun 11, 2012.

1. funknofresh macrumors newbie

I know it's called the "Mac Pro", but it will always be my Macintosh as it appears to be the final resting place of a long legacy of great computer I always have had as a graphic & video professional.

Sure I love my IOS devices, what made me love them is that it was abel to tie it all together and shared everything between all my devices, and my Macintosh was the hub at the center of my world. The place I worked, the place I played.

Sure windows boxes are good enough for video and photo editing, does all the same tricks, but it's not going to be tied into my digital life like my macintosh was.

Damn you Apple, Damn you to hell for making me buy a windows computer!
    :mad:

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Uhh.. what? Apple didn't "make" you buy a Windows based computer.. And the whole topic you're talking about is very vague. Are you b*tch*g about there not being Mac Pro updates? Because there definitely were.

3. goMac macrumors 603

I don't know if I'd call the Macintosh dead. On the portable side, the new Macbook Pro looks like a great upgrade. Not a Mac Pro replacement though...

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I don't get people running to Windows because of this.

Hackintoshing has come such a long way... It's basically a one-click solution these days. Runs a hella lot better then Windows too.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Semantically speaking there was an upgrade. It consisted of a processor bump by 133 MHz and still the old architecture. So it's not really an upgrade. It's an insult. It's basically a middle finger to the people that were waiting to buy a Mac Pro.

6. Sebastian85 macrumors newbie

Agreed! If you absolutely want to work on an OSX-based system, then i encourage you to splurge for that hackintosh.

I feel for those who've grown up with mac desktops.

Updates? Hahaha..hahhahaha...Mother. ****ing. Ha :p

No, but seriously.

7. funknofresh thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, no REAL MacPro updates = windows box the only way to go.

The specs aren't good enough to justify the prices anymore, I can't justify blowing that wad on an outdated box.

I don't have time for Hackintoshing a PC box and updating it etc..

It's very clear Apple don't want us to buy Desktops anymore and I will oblige them.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, if Apple would have actually updated the Mac Pro. They would have about 7000 dollars of my Money.

Not anymore. That update was a Joke. No dual GPU options, and no good GPUs to start at all? And no ram. No thanks.

9. funknofresh thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know... I would think someone inside apple would still like to see a new case design and new specs and some innovation in a professional system. Probably plenty at apple that want a new Mac Pro, but they just get beat down and thrown on some Imac or IOS project and told to keep their mouths shut.

There are so many innovations to be accomplished in the desktop area and I don't think getting rid of it is the correct evolution.

very disappointed.

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yep.

And I'm gonna give the middle finger right back by building a Hackint0sh with NEW components.

11. randy771 macrumors newbie

Yep, I prepped my Apple biz guy last week that I needed to do an upgrade on Tuesday... That call is going to go unanswered. I must say that my $7.4K is going towards a vacation where I don't have to think about this any longer. What a night mare, I feel a little violated at this point.

12. AppleInMyBlood, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Your thread title is "The death of the Macintosh." On the day Apple updated their entire Mac notebook line (sans 17"), plus introduced an extraordinary, game-changing MacBook Pro?

Death of the Macintosh my foot. That's a hell of a lot of R&D time and money to spend on a dead product.

Very few Mac buyers are seriously considering an MP, and only Apple knows what the plan is, but I strongly suspect a brand new design within the next several months. If not, well, it is what it is. You don't run Apple, they do.

Today they discontinued the 17" MBP, a very low-selling portable with less obvious benefits now that the Retina MBP has arrived. If they wanted to EOL the MP, I think they would have done it now. The tiny spec update they gave today--who knows what that's about, but if they're not planning on releasing a newly designed MP until significantly later in the year or early next year, then it kind of makes sense just to tweak it in the interim. If they upgraded the graphics card, etc., what would they say about the internals when the updated design appears?

But who knows--only Apple, and they set their own schedule.

In the meantime, if you want a state-of-the-art Mac, you can buy a MBP, a MBP Retina, a MBA, an iMac, and the Mini is still around, too. But you say the Mac is dead. Hmmm, I could have sworn I saw all those Macs on the Apple site just now. Not to mention a new OS coming next month, and Tim Cook's statements that OSX and iOS are very different, and will continue to be, as opposed to Microsoft's vision.

13. silverbillet72 macrumors newbie

silverbillet72

Mac No

""I know it's called the "Mac Pro", but it will always be my Macintosh as it appears to be the final resting place of a long legacy of great computer I always have had as a graphic & video professional.

Sure I love my IOS devices, what made me love them is that it was abel to tie it all together and shared everything between all my devices, and my Macintosh was the hub at the center of my world. The place I worked, the place I played.

Sure windows boxes are good enough for video and photo editing, does all the same tricks, but it's not going to be tied into my digital life like my macintosh was.

Damn you Apple, Damn you to hell for making me buy a windows computer!""

Hmm, where's that www.TigerDirect.com flyer I got babe? Oh, and call the scrap yard and ask them what outdated aluminum is worth!!

Looks like I have to build a new box. I knew I should have started looking and not waited for fughing Apple to rub my nose in **it. I know when I am not wanted and my cash is obviously not enough for big time Apple now. Despite the company's lack of interest in proposing it sell an interesting "Top of the Line machine", it throw's it's professional customer base soemthing insulting like this? Wow. I'm out> How's that for pouring it on heavy?

14. randy771 macrumors newbie

Yep, I prepped my Apple biz guy last week that I needed to do an upgrade on Tuesday... That call is going to go unanswered. I must say that my $7.4K is going towards a vacation where I don't have to think about this any longer. What a night mare, I feel a little violated at this point.

15. funknofresh thread starter macrumors newbie

Those aren't Macintosh's... those are mac books.

Technically the Macintosh lineage is the Imac since the original Macintosh was an all in one... but for those of us who grew up professionally using Mac's in the mid 90's the Macintosh's are the customizable desktops.

Sure I can get a Mac BOOK, and I still would need to drop a huge amount on external Thunderbolt drives to be able to edit and work on my content library, get 2 new monitors for it, that's just ridiculous.

I think more people are in line for a MacPro than the MacMini, and the margins on the pro are HUGE. Doesn't make sense other than Steve Job's dying wish was to kill desktops cause he had come to find them "distasteful" and overly complicated which I fully believe now.

16. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

But who knows--only Apple, and they set their own schedule.

In the meantime, if you want a state-of-the-art Mac, you can buy a MBP, a MBP Retina, a MBA, an iMac, and the Mini is still around, too. But you say the Mac is dead. Hmmm, I could have sworn I saw all those Macs on the Apple site just now. Not to mention a new OS coming next month, and Tim Cook's statements that OSX and iOS are very different, and will continue to be, as opposed to Microsoft's vision.[/QUOTE]

Although I agree with many things you say, I also think that Apple should give some love to people who have been crying for a Mac Pro update. Those people really have played a significant part in the building of Apple's reputation as a professional's brand in the old days, and made them popular with many video editing and sound design people. Apple was always very good at portraying their products as things that you develop emotional connections with, so for the emotions sake, they should maybe give some love back, even if it is not so profitable...
    Anyway, just one man's opinion...

----------

I think more people are in line for a MacPro than the MacMini...

Hey! I just defended your point, and you do this to me...:D
    I am waiting for a new Mini.
    I would like a new Mac Pro, but can't afford it...:(

17. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

No one would think about buying the Mac Pro because its been 2 years without an update, and it's still at the price it originally was in.

The 17" DID have a larger screen workspace, FireWire, ExpressCard, gigabit ethernet, an optical drive, AND an IR receiver, as well as upgradable RAM and HDD.

18. AppleInMyBlood, Jun 11, 2012

Some good points, well said!

19. AppleInMyBlood, Jun 11, 2012

Wait, so the original (all-in-one) Mac was a Macintosh, but the iMac is only "technically" a Macintosh. Huh? You'd agree, I presume, that the Macintosh II was a Macintosh... but you implied mid-90s onwards, so maybe that rules out the Macintosh II. What about the Macintosh Portable? That was a Macintosh, right? But the MacBooks are not? The MacBook Pro is far more powerful, expandable and customizable than the original Macintosh, but it's a MacBook and not a Macintosh? What does the Mac stand for? And the mini? That's a "customizable desktop," which is how you defined a Macintosh vs a Mac, so that's a Macintosh, yes? There's even a server model--hardly a consumer device. Or do Macintoshes have to be more powerful than Macs? So that rules out the original Macintosh and the Macintosh II, since they're lightweights compared to a Mac mini. Or perhaps the Mac mini and iMacs are mere Macs, and not Macintoshes, because they use some laptop chips. Even if they're many times more powerful than your mid-90s "Macintoshes"? And why is the Mac Pro not called a Macintosh Pro?

I'm thoroughly confused.

You said "but for those of us who grew up professionally using Mac's in the mid 90's the Macintosh's are the customizable desktops." So your argument only applies to people who began using Macs (Macintoshes?) at the same time you did?

I think your eccentric nomenclature has more to do with your own nostalgia than anything else. Here's the actual, meaningful definition:

A Mac, aka a Macintosh (as Tim Cook still calls them, I believe), is a computer that runs a Macintosh (aka Mac) operating system, like OS X, for example. The form factor of the hardware has nothing to do with it.

20. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Anyone who says hackintosh is the way to go is kidding themselves. I have one and use it daily and while it works, there are lots of minor problems that make having a real Mac seem so much better.

21. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I really don't understand how people are so fickle.

Jump to Microsoft!! Go jump!! get the hell out of here and save us this ****, just go and close the door behind you.

22. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

I see you're kind of new around here.

23. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Lol!

Expressing disappointment in the lack of a substantial update is completely understandable. But saying Apple is forcing you to switch to Windows? Nobody's forcing you to do anything ("you" being the OP and all the other people posting similar things today).

24. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I am disappointed as well by the lack of new architecture on the updated Mac Pro's, as I have a 1,1 Mac Pro that will not be compatible with Mountain Lion. I was holding out for a Mac pro with USB3 and Thunderbolt. However at the end of the day Apple don't sell very many. Many 'professionals' are using iMacs or the Apple Notebooks, and the numbers of people left who really need the multiple processors for encoding are pretty small compared with Apple's total addressable market. While it is frustrating, the harsh reality is if Apple dropped the Mac Pro, it would hardly make a dent in its financials.

25. AppleInMyBlood, Jun 11, 2012

It's true. I love the Mac Pro, though I can't afford one. I would love it to stay around and be upgraded, and I still think the latter may happen at some point. But if Apple EOLs it, that wouldn't seem unreasonable to me. The small number of people and companies really needing high-end workstations have Windows and custom Linux systems as options. Many other pros will find everything they need in MBPs and iMacs, with Thunderbolt and USB 3 peripherals (the latter option sure to be added to iMacs soon).

EDIT: And again we are reminded that Apple sets its own schedule...

"David Pogue: New iMacs and Mac Pro's Coming "Probably in 2013"
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/

Of course the iMacs will come this year, I'm fairly sure.