The "Decided to wait for the 3G models" thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mark Booth, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I've pre-ordered the 64GB 3G iPad. I will NOT be buying a WiFi-only model, just to sell it or return it when the 3G models arrive. I'm going to patiently wait for my 3G iPad and, by the time it arrives, the WiFi-only folks will have shaken the iPad down, figured out the best apps, decided on the best case(s), and generally saved me a bunch of hassle in getting the most out of my 3G iPad.

Anyone else with me on this plan? :)

Mark

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I ordered the same exact one you did.

I'm with you on waiting to hear the best apps, etc.

I'm wondering if the iBookStore will be available for iPhone users in the mean time. I'd like to star browsing and get an idea of books I want.

3. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

In Australia, both models come out at the same time (Late April) but I could have always shipped from US. I'm getting 3G 16GB, I reckon jailbreak will be ready by then, I'll have read everything about it, bought some apps in advance, and then have it all good to go. Not to mention any software issues found at launch would have been sorted out by then (With apps aswell). So all I have to do is come home, sync, and enjoy my iPad!

4. FullSky macrumors member

FullSky

Those of us who ordered the 3G don't have much choice but to agree with you.

5. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I've waited nearly a lifetime for this gizmo of gizmos

Sure I can wait until late April or May

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i feel they should have just released it on the same day as wifi.

7. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for the 32GB 3G iPad.

I hope I don't regret not getting the 64GB version, but I'm sticking to my guns.

Hey if anything maybe it will give me an excuse to get v2.

8. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Actually, what would have had to happen is that the WiFi-only model would have been held back. I remember reading the 3G model needed more lead time for FCC approval. So Apple isn't delaying the 3G model, they simply aren't hold back on the WiFi-only model.

Mark

9. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I've got 8GB free on my 32GB iPhone 3GS and it has 8 pages of apps, all of my music, a bunch photos, and about 10 full-length movies on it. So a 32GB iPad probably would have been plenty for me too. EXCEPT... I also plan to use the iPad to store photos from my digital cameras when I travel. My digital SLR's RAW files are 23MB each. So, if my 64GB iPad has roughly the same data on it as my iPhone, I'll have about 40GB free. That will hold about 1,700 RAW files. Nice! :)

Mark

10. realmaj0 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I myself also ordered a 3G 64 Gb. Am I happy? Sure I am, The wait really really sucks though. It's even harder for me because of what I do. I'm a writer for a very popular apple blog, I'm sure you all visit it ALL DAY.

So, guess we'll all have to wait together. Good part is we'll all be able to use out iPad's out and about and not be stuck home like the others. Think of it this way. If you have an iPod touch, I'm sure you are all jealous of the people using their iphones out of their house or coffee bean

-Maj0

11. MisterL99 macrumors member

my thoughts exactly, i've been of this train of thought since i pre-ordered the same. my iPhone is 32 gb and it still has 9 gb free so i'm not sure what i'll do with all that real estate but i didn't want to be second guessing or needing more space once all the cool stuff is found. its interesting reading all the hype but i'm finding myself very cool about waiting until whenever late April is. Its hard for me to believe anyhow that late April will be beyond the April 24th date everyone is rumoring that wi-fi models will go international.

12. str1f3 macrumors 68000

The 3G model is the only one worth ordering. Being able to bring this device everywhere with a constant Internet connection for only $30/month unlimited is a steal when they charge twice as much for laptop or abusing your phones' battery life for the same price.

This is the best feature of the iPad. The "only wifi" folks can have their fun for now.

13. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Yep. I'm waiting for my 32gb 3G model. I have an Apple case coming that should beat the iPad. I can't wait, but wanted the versatility of the 3G. I think it's going to be worth the wait. It won't make the wait any easier, but it will be great once it gets here!

14. PlayHard macrumors member

I ordered the 3G 64GB and am suffering right now. All the reviews and buzz are killing me. The only thing that is easing the wait is I'm ordering my accessories. I just got a Muzetto bag and I ordered a Vaja case. Also, I'm going through and getting my apps. (Only getting the free ones until I get the actual iPad in my hands). Oh well, at least by waiting we'll hopefully get to see reviews on the apps and find out which ones are worth the money.

15. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I am waiting for the 3G, although I haven't definitively chosen between the 32 and the 64GB. I guess it will depend on how much money I get for my birthday next week. :) I'm keep flip-flopping between those though... Given how heavy I am into Photography, I should probably go for the 64 if I can swing it.

16. gswilder macrumors regular

3g

I ordered a 64GB 3G model about a week ago. Can't wait to get it. IPad seems to be building a lot of momentum going up to launch (typical Apple).

17. LittleBob68 macrumors member

I hate this thread. Mainly because I am a part of it. In a month I will be glad that I waited though. :mad:

18. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

My fellow future 3G iPad owners... Do not let all of the fun the WiFi-only iPad owners will be having dampen your spirits! Keep your heads high, knowing full well you ordered the only iPad that makes sense for you. The one with a constant data connection virtually anywhere you are located and for a very reasonable monthly fee! The one with a built-in GPS that, combined with a full-time 3G internet connection, will provide more functionality for location aware iPad apps.

The WiFi-only crowd will have their fun this weekend. Our fun is only a couple more weeks away! The luster of their devices will have worn away a bit by the time the 3G units arrive. It will be our time to shine and have the fun! Be strong! Our moment is at hand! :)

Mark

19. M87 macrumors 65816

I ordered a wifi 64GB within minutes of preorders opening up, cancelled on the 25th and and will be ordering a 64GB with 3G shortly.

20. FoxDavis macrumors regular

I too got the 64GB 3G but looking at the videos and people showing the tracking updates and all that jazz plus me headed to Italy for a 2 week trip makes me want to go out and get the wifi. We'll see if I still can!

21. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I wonder what the return period is, 30days? What if the 3G doesn't come out till after then? What will people do who were going to return the wi-fi model???
    I'm waiting for the 3G 64Gig (on order). The shake out time is good like you say. I don't have a need for a model that I can only use while near wi-fi anyway, it's like having a crippled unit. I'm also going to wait on the paid apps except for a couple that I think I really need right away. The prices are way too high for basically an iPhone app. We all know they will come down. As a matter of fact we should all wait and let them know that the prices that they are asking are BS. When we ain't buying, they will come down.

22. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Which apps are you expecting the prices to come down on?

I'd probably get apps like Wolfram Alpha ($1.99), Pages ($9.99), Keynote ($9.99) and Weather HD ($0.99), and I don't envision the prices on any of them being lowered within the next 2 months.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Wow what a waste of money going for the "fully loaded" iPad model imo.

24. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I don't mind paying a fair price for the hard work of a Dev.
    But I looked through most of them and $20 for an app is too much unless it's something I really need. Pages and Numbers and Keynote are needed and pretty fair for what they are (if someone figures out how to print) and a full fledged app and they are $9. That should set a standard.

I have to go back and look and get an average for all apps offered. I just think they are starting pretty high. There were some $20 apps that were nothing. At least nothing I could use. I guess it's subjective.

25. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer