The Decision is Killing Me

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jw3571, Dec 8, 2010.

  1. jw3571 macrumors regular

    May 21, 2010
    I keep going back and forth between the MBA and MBPro. I think its' obvious the pro has beefed components, but my problem is to get the pro with a SSD costs $400 more than the air. It's hard to justify spending $400 more when the Pro is due for the update. I think i'm going to get the air with the thinking that if the pro is updated and there is something I really have to have I can sell the air for more than the pro since it's the newer technology. Does that make sense?
  2. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    Going with the Air sounds like a reasonable course of action. The Pro is likely to get the Core i-series soon. The current version looks uncompetitive, and the price of an SSD upgrade is about the same as the price of a good third party SSD, so to me that would make more sense if you did get the Pro (that way you'd get a spare hard drive out of it that you could use for backup purposes).
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    You could wait for the update.
  4. jw3571 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 21, 2010
    I know I could wait, but I really want to get one now. Besides, the air may be just fine. I'm not a real heavy user.
  5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 23, 2010
    You know what is funny, I started a thread earlier today on the macbook pro section asking the same thing. I just pulled the trigger and got the air. I think I made the right choice.
  6. robby818 macrumors 6502a

    May 2, 2007
    Is $400 Apple's cost for the SSD upgrade? You can go with a n 80 GB Intel SSD for much less.

    Still, I'd lean towards a MBA if you are not a heavy user and have another computer with lots of disk space to use as your other machine.
  7. linkandzelda macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2010
    I was like this a while back, in the end I went with the Air seeing as my choice was either get the Air now, or wait for the next refresh as the current MBP is not so good as it was a couple of months ago... The Air just beats it hands down. The new refresh will likely have an SSD in it too hopefully for a lower price than $400..
  8. s2dio macrumors regular


    Oct 28, 2010
    Riga, Latvia
    I say get the Air, preferably the "ultimate" model -- it's powerful enough (could be even more powerful than today's mbp 13"), and you'll be really happy with its weight, which really lets you take it with you with no problem (with the 2kg mbp you'll probably think twice).
  9. tivoboy macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2005
    why not

    Why can't I get the upgraded processor in the 13" with the 128GB SSD? Only on the super ultimate model?

    I really don't feel like paying 300$ for 128GB extra SSD, but would pay for the upgraded processor,
  10. CBraish macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    MB Air

    I know exactly what you mean. I was on the fence two weeks ago but I just ran with the Air. I am so glad I did. It really can handle almost anything you can throw at it. Office 2011 works fine and I'm gonna try installing Adobe CS5 soon. Hope this helps! :)
  11. Truffy macrumors 6502a


    May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    So why are you even considering the heavier machine? Sounds like the MBA is perfect for you.:confused:
  12. w4rmk macrumors regular


    Feb 13, 2006
    If you want an SSD in an MBPro, but it with the smallest/cheapest hard drive and install your own SSD which have dropped in price considerably in recent months.
  13. Meric macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2010
    if you want a mbp , WAIT

    if you want a mba, order now!
  14. Meric macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2010
    I could have done the same if there was a $ 100 cpu upgrade...but...

    2.13 cpu is only 10 % faster... doesn't worth for 100 bucks...

    memory upgrade does worth the 100 bucks...

    use the $ 100 towards an external hard drive + mba case/skin
  15. stockscalper macrumors 6502a


    Aug 1, 2003
    Area 51
    Just did a comparison of the MBA and 15" MBP in the local Apple store. Played around with both of them and kept getting beach balls on the Pro. The Air was snappy and felt a whole lot faster. Plus the Pro felt like a brick after spending some time handling the Air. What's ironic is that the new Pro's are about a pound lighter than the old 15" MBP that I'll be replacing. Ended up ordering the BTO Air.
  16. Beanoir macrumors 6502a


    Dec 9, 2010
    51 degrees North
    I'd say it's an unfair comparison as one has an SSD and the other most probably didn't. Spec an MBP with an SSD like the Air has and surely there is no contest.
  17. dmelgar macrumors 68000

    Apr 29, 2005
    Youre right. Spec the MBP with an SSD and the price comparison will be no contest.
  18. Beanoir macrumors 6502a


    Dec 9, 2010
    51 degrees North
    very true, not sure what the difficult decision is all about then!?
  19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000


    Dec 20, 2009
    It sounds like the problem is the inability to determine what you _need_ vs. what you want.

    I'm guessing this is primarily for play, not work. When I need a computer for work, it must perform very specific functions. Those generally dictate what I _need_.

    Apple plays to this human trait. They've refined their ability to CONvince people they need something they could do just fine without.
  20. dime21 macrumors 6502

    Dec 9, 2010
    x2, I don't understand the dilemma.

    If you're a light user, just Web, Office, Email and such, get the Air.

    If you're a heavy user, 3D Games, Apple Pro Apps, get the Pro.
  21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020


    Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Get the Air, you know you wanna!
  22. Scarpad macrumors 68000


    Jan 13, 2005
  23. potentpotable macrumors regular


    Oct 22, 2010
    Agreed. Do you care more about portability, or better capacity for heavy workloads (Photoshop, etc)?

    Your decision will only get harder when the new Pro comes out and there's no optical drive. :p
  24. miata macrumors 6502

    Oct 22, 2010
    Silicon Valley, Earth
    I'm not sure why you are even considering the MBP. It is only going to be faster if you can take advantage of more RAM, heavily use ethernet or have lots of external storage.
  25. cleric macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lots of external storage that needs to be access at high transfer rates >20MB/s to be exact :cool:

Share This Page