The deets are out on new minis - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Richie3000, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Richie3000 macrumors member

http://www.cultofmac.com/upcoming-m...ofmac/bFow+(Cult+of+Mac)&utm_content=FaceBook

Here's the basics according to the article:

The base model will include a 2.3 GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive storage space

The more expensive model will include a 2.5 GHz processor with 4GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space.

Finally, the new Mac mini line will also include a new server model with a 2.0 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM, and two 500GB hard drives of storage.

Am I the only one who just sees an addition of T-Bolt and about 180 gigs of HD space over last year's model? Seems wildly underwhelming to me. I hope I'm missing something because I can't take another year of clicking refresh on my mini rumors page...

Thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba

They will include Sandy Bridge CPUs too, which means two more cores.
    The 2.0GHz model might even be a quad i7, as I can't understand why they use a lower clocked CPU in the server model.

3. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Looks like just about what you'd expect to me. Processor bump to sandy bridge and thunderbolt. Not entirely sure what else could realisticly be expected to be honest. Maybe 4Gb across the range I suppose but these are, after all, supposed to be the entry level machines for Apple. What will be interesting is which SB processor they go for, i3 or i5. If it's a 2.3Ghz I think that has to be i5 (doesn't i3 stop at 2.2?) but I suppose it could always be a custom part. Also notice no mention of graphics card so we'll have to see if they're using the onboard GPU or whether a Radeon will turn up.

Think it would have to be, looking at the Sandy Bridge mobile processors it's only the i7 that has a 2Ghz part.

4. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    I know RAM isn't that expensive these days, but base model with only 2GB RAM to run Lion? Surely the linked article won't be right on that one. Either that or else Apple are taking the p-ss! :)

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

6. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

I dont get the 4mb thing. I would think it needs 4gig default as this is now a true 64 bit os and 2gb are required to even boot the thing. I don't understand why the Mini is considered an entry level system they should be matching the iMacs and just removing the built in screen.

Here is hoping those specs are wrong and Oh this thing needs a 512mb graphics card standard (not shared)

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That would be my only issue if these specs were correct. Sandy Bridge and ThunderBolt good, larger HD great. Only 2GB in base model? I was hoping we would soon see Apple only selling computers with 4GB+. At least the Mini RAM is user upgradeable, unlike the Air.

Lets see what appears shortly!

8. MattyO macrumors regular

How easy would it be for me to upgrade to 4gb RAM (me do it, not Apple) ... especially considering I am computer illiterate?

9. simsaladimbamba

Easy. Look at page 34 here.

10. MattyO macrumors regular

thanks!!! crap that looks simple to upgrade ... If the leaked specs are correct why would someone buy the 4 gb version?

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 2 GB minimum is to ensure a proper experience. The OS itself won't use 2 GB alone. And I don't get why you think 64 bit should have anything to do with that.

I would. I need a mediacenter, and 2 GB RAM is plenty.

12. diminiko macrumors member

Goodbye internal optical drive.
    BTO SSD up to 256Gb

13. Yvan256, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Yvan256 macrumors 601

New Mac mini

Dual Core i5, with BTO upgrade to Dual Core i7?

And AMD Radeon HD 6630M* graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory?!

GOOD-BYE OPTICAL DRIVE**! :D

* a quick search tells me it's roughly about twice the power of the previous nVidia 320m, which is an incredible upgrade IMHO.

** if you need one, get the Macbook Air one, it works just fine. Already worked on the previous Mac mini too (the unibody with nVidia 320m).

P.S.: Thank you Apple for that one Mac mini model with a non-intel GPU. You could have stuck with one motherboard model with the intel GPU, but you listened to your users.

14. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I want a Quad core with the AMD6630M

I could replace my Mac Pro with that

Not fair!

15. Steelgrave macrumors member

Steelgrave

Unless I missed it (which is possible still on my 1st cup of coffee here), how do you plug a 27" display in with a displayport? They have an HDMI to DVI adapter listed as included, but thats it.

Is there a thunderbolt->minidisplayport adapter?

16. auero macrumors 65816

It's the same plug. Just like the macbook pro's, you share it.

17. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Thunderbolt connector is the same thing as the mini displayport connector

18. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

because its also a processor bump as well as the all important discreet AMD graphics chip as opposed to the mediocre Intel chip which are both non user upgradable.

19. beertapper macrumors member

the processor upgrade probably won't make a huge diff...but the discrete graphics chip will, it's just whether or not that's worth an extra $200.

you'd think they could throw in a 7200 rpm drive on the better model

20. Steelgrave macrumors member

Steelgrave

Well I feel dumb, not sure how I missed that LOL.

Thanks!

21. archer75 macrumors 65816

HDMI supports multichannel out. Now for an HTPC I have to wonder if it supports 7.1 and potentially bitstreaming of DTS-MA HD/TrueHD(with the right software of course). I know Radeon's support it, the question is if apple gimped it like they have on previous minis.

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

23. xheathen macrumors 6502

These are VERY enticing IMO.

What's the major difference between the i5 and the i7 option on the higher Mini offering?? Someone in another thread mentioned hyperthreading.

I'm wondering what someone would feel a greater difference - in the i7 upgrade or in spending the $150 to get the 7200 RPM drive?

24. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

This manual is for the 2010. Are we certain that the form factor didn't change when they removed the optical drive?

25. Minicube macrumors regular

Using the BTO options, it's easy to bring the price up to 2 freaking grand!