The definitive guide to installing OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by studentmac, Oct 17, 2007.

1. studentmac macrumors regular

There seems to be loads of threads talking about the different options when it comes to installing Leopard when it arrives, but I am yet to see a clear description of each type of upgrade, as well as benefits and disadvantages.

It would be great if someone could make it clear what the different options do, as I for one am yet to decide.

So, Upgrade, Archive & Install, and Erase and Install....lets see them defined :apple:

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Erase & Install = wipes your hard drive and installs fresh.

Upgrade = overwrites your existing OS. Leaves Apps and Data intact. Might have problems if you have installed haxies and certain third-party drivers.

Archive & Install = Archives your existing OS, writes a new copy of system & library folders. Leaves your Applications and Data intact, but third-party drivers and a small number of applications may need re-installation to work properly. Overcomes the potential problems with an Upgrade.

3. Zegna macrumors member

I'm wondering, if Archive & Install actually archives Tiger, then install Leopard.

How does the applications in Tiger get to work in the new Leopard, if I don't re-install any applications?

4. studentmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, a simple answer to a simple question I have seen many people asking, but with varied response.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Here is more information on an Archive & Install. Yes, it archives Tiger and it'll copy over the items listed in the link to the new install. :)

6. trojanmike34 macrumors newbie

I'm buying a new iMac on the 26th. I'm guessing they won't have pre-loaded Leopard machines at my Apple store, so I'll probably receive an upgrade disc. Since the computer is brand new and I don't really feel like having to re-install iLife '08 from the Resource discs, I'm guessing my only two options are Upgrade or Archive and Install. Which one would you recommend I do...or does it matter? Thanks

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Hey, I'm a bit of a moron when it comes to these things...

I have a C2D iMac, and I want a clean install. Do I just insert the Leopard disk and install...or do I have to put in the install discs that came with my comp to install, then immediately install Leopard over it?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Insert, Leopard Disk, choose Erase and Install

Once complete, you may want to put in the disks that came with you computer so you can reinstall iLife and such.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In this case, it probably doesn't matter. A straight upgrade would probably be a bit quicker, and wouldn't leave you with a folder full of useless Tiger system files that you'll just have to throw away anyhow.

10. trojanmike34 macrumors newbie

After doing a bit of reading on the Apple website it seems like upgrade is the way to go in my situation. No third party apps will be installed and only basic settings will be made, so the archive and install option seems like it will just be a little overboard. Thanks

11. Zegna macrumors member

Thanks, mate. :)