The Definitive "How Bad is the iPod Touch 4G Still Camera" Thread

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by revelated, Sep 19, 2010.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

How bad is it? You decide.

I'm going to post three sections: Indoors with full natural light, outdoors, and low light.

For this test, I took identical photos from four different sources:
    1. Insignia HD NS-DCC5HB09: 5MP
    2. Palm Pre Plus (Verizon): 3MP
    3. HTC HD2 (T-Mobile): 5MP
    4. iPod Touch (4th Gen): .7MP

Indoors With Full Natural Lighting

Because I like irony, I took a snap of the Zune HD's box. On the left is the iPod Touch 4g. On the right is the HTC HD2 from T-Mobile. The pictures are sized, according to Snow Leopard Preview, the exact same resolution pixel count. HTC HD2 at its peak is in the thousands due to the high pixel count, so smaller it comes out looking crisp and clean. iPod Touch 4g for some reason is zoomed in greater than it really should be, IMO. Even zoomed everything looks extremely muddy.

[​IMG]

Outdoors

For outdoors I needed something with a little more color, so I chose my bottle of N.O.XPLODE which is quite colorful and glittery, standing out in the sun quite tremendously. On this test I paired up the Touch with the Insignia HD camera/camcorder (realized I forgot to mark these. The Touch on the left, the Insignia on the right). The Insignia is known for taking good quality videos, but subpar photos except at smaller size. Clearly from the photos, even direct sunlight isn't enough to save the Touch's camera. The Touch had greater detail than the Insignia due to the Insignia's focal point viewing (a feature the iPhone 4 also has but the Touch lacks). The Insignia, even with apparently is a dirty lens, still put out a superior photo (obviously, since it's an actual camera, but the point is to illustrate how bad the Touch's camera really is.)

[​IMG]

Low Light Conditions

Time to call in the Palm Pre Plus as the lowest resolution camera device I've currently got access to besides my MacBook Pro. The room this was taken in is not pitch black, but it's a fairly darkened hallway. What stood out is that the Touch seemed to scrape for every ounce of light possible to compensate for the dark conditions whereas the Pre accepted and showed what the naked eye could see. Even with this compensation the Touch's photo was absolutely horrid.

[​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow, who knew a .7 MP camera on a music player would be outperformed by 3+ MP cameras???!!! What an eye-opener.

:rolleyes:

3. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Actually if u have the right lightening, u can take some pretty nice pics with the iPod Touch. Here are a few pics I took last week with my iPod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

The idea is not to illustrate out-performance, but to provide a measure of just how bad the camera is so that people can decide if it's truly an issue for them or not.

fel10, thanks for contributing those additional photos. Great for some, the noise in every one of those pics would personally bother me though.

5. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

Well they are "pictures". I wouldnt call them "pretty nice pictures" though.

6. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I meant pretty nice for a 0.7 MP camera.

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It's better than nothing. There are plenty of options available to consumers. I think including a modest still camera that takes 720p video, plus a front camera for FaceTime, is going to make this product successful for Apple. If you need a music player with a camera as good as an iPhone 4, then you'll need to keep looking. And I think you'll be looking for awhile. :)

8. fashi0nless macrumors newbie

I don't think the camera is the main #1 reason people decide to buy the iPod touch. It's a nice little extra that can be handy when you're out and about and near a wifi zone and want to share something you just saw or snap something minor that they'll post about later when they do get to a wifi zone, but any serious photo taker has their higher megapixel camera.

9. pizz macrumors regular

Im satisfied with my Touch's camera. Especially the 720p video. It takes very nice quality video which is the main reason I got it. The still camera is fine. A bit grainy in low light but in regular light it's still ok. I wont be doing any serious photoshoots with it but that's ok.

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you want a high quality still camera ... then go buy a high quality still camera?

I don't get the complaining. At all.

11. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Some people want their "singular" device. One that does it all, so they don't have to carry multiple devices.

I don't want my phone for games or movies, for example. But I do like my phone to do pictures and music. My Pre Plus's one technological shortcoming is the lack of autofocus on its camera. When supplemented with a magnifier it actually takes pretty good pictures. It also serves as quite a capable media player - though not perfect.

12. manddarran macrumors newbie

Well, my take is that is just plan stinks that it is different than on the iphone. I was hoping to have a nice 720P camera instead of buying yet another device, but it looks like I am going to have go get the Kodak Zi8 after all.

13. PlanetarySoup macrumors member

PlanetarySoup

Heres a picture I took with my iPod Touch....not too bad

Attached Files:

14. ecualegacy macrumors regular

I thought they were nice. ;)

15. ascendedoshen macrumors member

Apple Makes decisions based Entirely on profit like BP

It is the most disgusting example of Apples short sighted greed which always hurts a company in long term! Not only should they have not put a substandard piece of **** useless camera but they should have been upfront about it! They essentially lied about it and they has and will Hurt them. It's no different than blow out preventers from oil rig

16. freeme007 macrumors regular

It's better than not having the camera at all. I'm sure next version, Apple will put a better camera in there.

17. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

haha, where did they lie? and how does this compare to an oil rig???? awesome arguments bro!

18. Bitcrusher macrumors member

Wait, this comparison is between ipod 4 and cellphones? why not ipod4 vs mp3s with camera?

19. mchad macrumors member

Ya, by putting the resolution on their site they completely hid the truth right? How dare they put a camera in it at all! They probably caused deaths just like on oil rigs that explode too!

20. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I really hope your kidding. If not you are easily the most ignorant person I've ever met on this board.

And what if they hadn't included anything at all? I'm sure you would cry about that too and say something like "They should have at least added a 0.7 megapixel camera rather than nothing!!!"

There is no lie, the specs are right on apples page. Please take your trolling to another site. We have enough of them here already.

And before you post anything else, please find a magical way to engineer every feature you want into the exact same space the iPod touch has. Once you can outdo an apple engineer then you will have room to rant.

22. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Nobody is expecting a camera "as good as" the iPhone 4. But 1.3-2MP isn't that much to ask. I believe the front facing camera is a higher res; if it was about the space in the body, the front camera would also be horrible. It's bad, but not nearly as bad as the back camera.

23. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Because no other MP3 players have camera's on them, and if they had them, it's probably gimmicky.

Unless you count the DSi and the 3DS (which both can play music, although only one specific type of file). In which case, the iPod touch still beats the DSi. The 3DS is arguable, because of the fact that it can take 3D pictures. xD

But other then that, the only real competition in terms of the camera for the iPod touch is in the cell phone market, because of the similar features to the iPhone.

24. mchad macrumors member

Front facing is VGA...which is lower quality than the back

25. redshot macrumors newbie

When the Hubble telescope was first made it had a camera which took 800x800 photos (ipod touch is 960x720) so the ipod touch has slightly more pixels. But no one complained about the Hubble telescope at the time, and that took some pretty good photos......