The definitive insurance guide for iPad thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ani23, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ani23, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

ani23 macrumors 6502

I have read about a few of them. The iPad is a prime candidate for insurance

Which insurance did you get?

Why?

How much did you pay and including deductibles?

What's the term?

What information is required to sign up?

If your iPad is stolen what information do you need to provide?

If it's broken do they repair it for you or pick up the cost of your repairs?

Any real world experience?

I will update the first post with findings from the replies.

Ps.s I kow I am forgetting a word. Comprehensive is not it. The title should mean the final and only thread you need? Any help with the word?

Think it was conclusive

Squaretrade

Costs $73 no deductible.

No theft coverage.

Have to send in iPad for repairs if damaged.

Worth ave group

$130 for two year term

Docs needed. name, address, and credit card serial #.

Theft and damage coverage.

Safeware

Theft coverage

1 year policies only.

2. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I went with Squaretrade, they had the $73(approx) deal when the iPad 2 was released. Seemed like a great deal to me. I have no other experience with Squaretrade, but hear mostly good things about them. I also heard the plan has no deductible, but couldn't find the proof.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Ditto. I have a couple other items warranted with SquareTrade too. Never had to use the warranties, but I've never heard of a deductible either.

Found a review of SquareTrade's iPad warranty here. Article's a year old, but I think it's still accurate.

4. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the sign up process if you don't mind sharing.

Also what's the term?

If your iPad is stolen what information do you need to provide?

If it's broken do they repair it for you or pick up the cost of your repairs?

Any real world experience?

5. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

6. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Ani, I had Squaretrade with iPad 1. They do not provide for thefts. And I believe you have to ship it to them. I had a scratch on the screen causing rainbow effect on iPad 1 and they would not repair it. They said, and I quote "Your entire screen must be shattered". LOL.

So thats why I went worth Ave Group this time around. More money, but it definitely includes theft.

And apparently you do need the receipt if it was stolen.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/claim-process-questions-and-answers

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I self-insure.

It's not for everyone and every situation, to be sure.

9. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. No theft coverage is a definite deal breaker at least for me.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Same here. Safeware also does theft but they only provide policies for 1 year. I definitely wanted two years.

11. tschur macrumors member

I think the word you want is "definitive."

12. cinca macrumors regular

I went with Worth Ave too and wanted to lock in the knowledge I was covered for two years.

Will I likely have my iPad 2 for two years..? Definitely not but I will probably be giving it to a family and they will have the insurance carry over. And If not I can cancel and they return the unused portion -- I.e. Pay for two years, cancel after a year and get half of what you paid back. :)

13. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Okay, that makes sense. I will hve to call my homeowners insurance, because I am pretty sure it's covered under that. They replaced our laptops, printer & cordless phone because of a power surge during a storm.

14. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bingo. Thanks

15. itzcoolz macrumors regular

i had safeware for the past year. i went with them because it was fairly cheap, about $60 for my iPad 1, and had a $50 deductable. also, they offered theft protection. That's not bad for an $800 dollar iPad (32GB 3G).

unfortunately, i can't really comment on the experience because i never had to use them.

one question i had, though, is: are these insurance policies transferrable? for example, if i got the 2 year policy, would i be able to use the insurance as a perk if i try to resell the iPad 2?

16. cinca macrumors regular

I don't believe so.. I think most policies are easy to cancel and offer a refund of the purchase price pro-rated for whatever period of time is left on the policy (unless you cancel it in the first few months in which case I think they charge a small processing fee or something).

If anyone knows otherwise please chime in..

I agree it's a nice little "perk" to offer a prospective buyer or famil member that is inheriting hour device. Especially when selling it's nice to have something to differentiate your device from the pack. AppleCare has always worked out for me in this way -- both as a value and also showing that I am responsible and take careof my devices..

17. PBz macrumors 6502a

Is the Best Buy as good as they claim even though it is pricey? They claimed it would cover accidental, drop, liquid, etc and a kicker.. I bought am iPad 1 & asked how they would handle that. BB guy said it would be covered with the current model, in this case an iPad 2. Are they being for real? Anyone have any experience?

18. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

19. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

20. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Otterbox defender case will act as my insurance, along with my sig sauer.

21. djc6 macrumors 6502

USAA only wanted $45/year for an endorsement on my home insurance that covers $3K worth of electronics in the house against damage from accidents - NO DEDUCTIBLE. I've already used it on an iPhone with coffee damage - had the full retail price (not the 2yr contract price) direct deposited into my checking account within 2 days. Excellent service, excellent price!

22. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Sounds great, but you neglected to mention that you have to be or have been in the military or have a spouse who is ( or used to be) to buy the insurance.

23. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I too use USAA. Its fantastic.

24. levitynyc macrumors 65816

From Squaretade, yes absolutely 100% transferable. They even advertise it as such.

25. dmunz macrumors regular

+1 for Square Trade

They do transfer, I've sold an iPad 1 and transferred the policy. Very painless. The other thing to check one is water damage coverage. SQ covers it (including full emersion - the toilet scenario!), not sure about the others.

But, they do NOT cover scratches unless it impacts the performance of the iPad. That is, they don't do cosmetic damage.

FWIW
    DLM