The definitive Snow Leopard review: John Siracusa at Ars Technica

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maflynn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ars has posted an in depth review with a lot of the under the hood internals about SL.

Good read so far, you guys may enjoy it as well

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

When I first read that article last night, I thought that the 23 pages at the bottom was an error. Not. At. All.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

tl;dr

:p

I had to skip over a lot of the technical stuff, I know every little about code.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Sweet Jesus. Well, no one can say it's not comprehensive.

6. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Yeah I saw that last night... after page two my brain exploded.... It's a great review, but sooooooooo long

7. Roger Strummer macrumors newbie

By far the best review of Apple's OS (and probably any OS) is John's review. Half the reason I look forward to new major OS X releases are his reviews. I think it's the only one that keeps me interested, and constantly tells things I don't know, and that is very refreshing in a world where every other review says mostly the same.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I would love to know how much research went into writing that article. No one knows all of THAT off the top of their head.

9. METOO999 macrumors regular

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Calling them "reviews" is almost a travesty when they get compared to the "should I buy this?" reviews from computer magazines and websites. These things are like white papers! :eek:

Very impressive. I just read the first eight pages or so, so far. The discussion of QTX was very illuminating as I had not been following this aspect of SL much. I think, considering how technical his coverage is, he actually makes it fairly interesting to read.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

John Siracusa KNOWS OS X. He's ridiculously well-informed. And most of the time he calls them as he sees them. If there's a problem, Siracusa will tell you.

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

13. jamin100 macrumors 6502

good god thats a big review. Like others i skipped the code bits lol

14. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

that was the most technical review I've read yet. Very nice. :)

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I got lost after the 1st page and quit. :confused: I'll just take everyone's word and concur it was a good review.

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Skipped some bits but a really good review, imagine how many pages he can write about let's say OS 11, probably 100 pages :D

17. adamk77 macrumors 6502

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

We're not worthy!

were-not-worthy.jpg

19. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I might read this tonight and tomorrow night and thursday night... lol but it should be good.

20. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I love John's reviews of OS X. He's not afraid to get into the guts of the OS and dig.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Interesting. But "0 new features" seems to make bolder impact than "a couple of new features." It emphasizes the fact that Apple has decided to perfect what's already there, which is good news for developers. In fact, SL is pretty much geared toward developers.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Disk Inventory X has had a Universal Binary for years John. :confused:

23. toonz macrumors newbie

The best thing about this review (and the Ars Technica Leopard review before it) is they delve into the core OS advantages and changes over previous incarnations.

This review actually details the changes Apple made unlike all the others I've read why say "it's faster", "it's smoother", "it now includes lots of 64 bit apps" and all the basic stuff but doesn't tell you WHY its faster or smoother etc.

It also explains in good details GCD and OpenCL and why Apple took the path they did. Very enlightening.

24. Roger Strummer macrumors newbie

Actually reading through all of John's reviews of the different version of OS X (including de developer previews and quartz release and stuff) is like reading an excellent book about the technology and the history behind it. Really worth reading for anyone that is interested in the more technical stuff of operative systems and computers in general.

Siracusa's reviews and Jon Stokes's articles (specially older ones) are what separate Ars from most other technology sites.