the definitive student ADC discount post

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eb3604, Jun 16, 2007.

1. eb3604 macrumors member

For those of you who are curious about the ADC discount. I have made a spreadsheet that will compare the costs of a macbook or macbook pro with the student, adc and regular store pricing depending on what options you select. I might add a mac pro sheet later. I tried to post it on google documents, but google documents doesn't understand the validations and vlookup formulas that I used. If you don't have excel find go to your library? I have no clue if this works with openoffice, etc.

Everything is explained on the first page. If you have any questions or find a pricing error, pm or post below. maybe this can be stickied so the barrage of adc posts stop?

Attached Files:

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

People don't need to be members to see the prices...why not just provde the store link? Good gesture though.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Because people are stupid and still post and still ask (despite link) for the math.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

But assuming people even come here (which they won't, because they don't search), they'll either ask how to download the link, how to extract it, or just start asking questions about other aspects, such as "Can I use the iPod rebate with the ADC discount???"

For the record, the answer is NO

Annoying questions and duplicate threads will continue to happen until someone writes an extensive document and quiz which must be read and completed to gain MR membership.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But isn't the point of the site to help answer questions and inform? A quiz seems rather counterproductive. It is always possible to not read the thread. That way, you don't have to be annoyed, and the newb can ask his/her questions.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Great concept...maybe someone can add in some information from this thread and then create a guide page for this information? It would be fabulous if anytime anyone ever asked about the discount we could give them a link to a guide page.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sticky?

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I was thinking the best way to have it available and visible is to make a dedicated page in the guides, then petition to have a link to it added on the buyer's guide. The buyer's guide as a tab as well as a prominent link in the forums - so more people would see it. I'm not opposed to a separate sticky, but I think it definitely needs guide treatment first (that way, if Apple changes its policies, it can be easily edited to reflect those changes).

I agree that something needs to be done about the increasing number of these threads. I fear that Apple may do away with the discount if they see a bunch of n00bs on here asking about it.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh...makes sense.
    Don't fear the noobs too much. A lot of them don't seem to take the value of Macs into account, they seem to want to look at only pricing.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm not really afraid of the n00bs...I'm afraid someone at Apple is gonna come read all their posts on the boards and presto...no more ADC Student Discount.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not very definitive, does include all the mac models or any other country apart from the USA, but still a good start.

The main problem with the UK store is that, as far as I can remember, you can not access it without being a member.

12. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Iirc, you have to ring them up to get the prices if you're a UK member.

13. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed.

As for guides, I've never really liked them. The buyers guide is great, short and sweet, but I hate wikis. They're cluttered and too much information.