Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will You Shower With Your Apple Watch?

• Yes, but only since I have Apple Care

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Yes, without Apple Care; I have no fear about showering with my watch

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • No, I remain unconvinced of the watch's resistance to water/I am concerned about other factors

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • No, I have no interest in showering with my watch anyway.

Votes: 125 61.0%

• Total voters

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
The watch is out.
(Some of) The videos are up.

Will... You... Shower... with it!?

(Also, how lovely would it be if we could have a discussion about this without someone saying, "Why would you want to do that anyway!?")

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
Im not really sure I have ever even wanted to shower with a watch on.... So I have no need to start now. I put my watch on as soon as I get out of the shower in the morning though before I head out the door..

Am I not normal?... :p

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand the appeal, my arm gets nasty under whatever watch I am wearing, it's the place I want to clean. The bigger question is would I wear it at the pool, that seems more useful. However I am unconvinced I would trust it. I didn't even take my Pebble in the pool, and that thing was basically glued shut.

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I don't understand the appeal, my arm gets nasty under whatever watch I am wearing, it's the place I want to clean. The bigger question is would I wear it at the pool, that seems more useful. However I am unconvinced I would trust it. I didn't even take my Pebble in the pool, and that thing was basically glued shut.

I saw a video where a guy took his to a water park and wore it the whole day.
He said it showed no signs of letting up.
My biggest concern with that would actually be the chlorine smell not coming off.

----------

I didn't get Apple Care with my Apple Watch and yet I took it in the shower today.

Apple Watch worked completely fine after shower.

No issues with condensation or anything like that?

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
When I was a kid and got my first "fancy" digital watch, I never took that damn thing off (was water proof to 20m or something), even in the shower.

Let me tell you, showering with a watch on does not do much to clean the area beneath the watch. So as a PSA to geeks everywhere, take the damn thing off now and then!

I wonder why they don't rate these things to more accurately reflect their water resistance though. I guess it's just to be on the safe side, but my first wearable, the FitBit Charge HR, also greatly understates its water resistance according to tests people have done.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
How about washing your hands with it? I have a habit of taking bands off when washing. I know it will survive but I still get neevous about it. But i might do it since i hate taking it off and putting it back on

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
pretty sure water damage would be covered with or without applecare+. They cannot determine how the water damage occurred.

With that said, once my sport band comes, I will shower with it.

spampy22

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
Only if it gets really dirty or I have sweated so much that it needs a nice cleaning. Maybe once a week should be the norm.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I guess I'm not the only person who likes to be completely naked when showering. I can be 10 minutes without my jewelry.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I did it once to see how it was. Worked perfectly and still does a few days later (I've showered without it on since :D )

What I really want to solis swim with it. But alas, I think that'll ruin.

----------

How about washing your hands with it? I have a habit of taking bands off when washing. I know it will survive but I still get neevous about it. But i might do it since i hate taking it off and putting it back on

You def. don't have to worry about this.

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
rolleyes.gif

nathanalf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm not entirely sure about showering with mine. I went for a run and (obviously) it got some sweat on it and it was fine, and then I was washing my hands later and splashed water at it just for the fun of it (from just the looks of the watch I would not expect it's waterproof). Showering/swimming scare me a bit though... I just got this thing yesterday, is it really worth maybe damaging it because I want to change music in the shower? :p

iWot

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
I don't really understand the need/want to shower with the watch. I for one take off all my clothes when showering.

Impstoker

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I have no qualms about showering with it for waterproof reasons, it's all the chemical soaps and shampoo's I am worried about.
That **** can ****-up coatings, ports, bands & you name it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.