All iPads The Devicewear Ridge case for iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by asleep, Nov 2, 2014.

1. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Devicewear Ridge for iPad Air 2

I purchased the original Ridge for my iPad Air when it came out and have been very happy with it, so I pre-ordered the Ridge for my new iPad Air 2.

The new case is thinner and feels to be made of stronger material/construction than the original, so the overall thickness of the Ridge + Air 2 is noticeably significantly thinner than Air+original as shown in first picture.

All functionality remains the same -- smart-cover performance is perfect -- as shown below, except for these noted differences:

1. Folding the flap over to flat against the back of the iPad is more difficult than with the original (photo #4). There's no preset crease for this, but I'm thinking this will fold over easier in time after "breaking it in" a bit.

2. In the last pic you can see the material just slightly puffed away from the back ( it's supposed to be loose/unattached there). A minor niggle that has no effect on use and easily lays flat when flipped over -- just to note what's shown in the photos.

Everything else is as before with the original Ridge, with the very nice fitment/cutouts/etc. as shown in the photos. The case has no noticeable affect the sound vibration. I'll update as my Ridge gets some use and the material breaks in over time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Thanks for this. I just ordered this case today. 11/10 delivery.

Looks nice and thin here...
    [​IMG]

3. Mojer macrumors member

I think I might like this. Do you know how thick this case is with the Air 2 in it? Thanks

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

I've used the Ridgewears on my iPad 3, 4, Air, and will order for my soon to be Air 2. They are great, quality cases.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm sorry, I don't. I'd need some type of calipers to reach over the edge toward the middle to get a good measurement.

All I can do is refer you to their website: http://www.devicewear.com/

I will say the plastic back cover portion it snaps into is pretty sturdy, and the front cover is just a bit thicker I think than Apple 's Smartcover. So it's not hyper thin, but I can drop a two-pound hand weight onto the front or back from waist high and not damage the iPad fwiw.

I'm interested to hear other's opinions of their Ridges on the Air 2.

7. xXxDieselxXx macrumors member

8. Mojer macrumors member

Thanks! I am interested in the approximate thickness of this case with the Air 2 in it if you are able to do this. Therefore, placing the case on a flat surface and measuring from the bottom to the top of the cover. My guess is that it might be about 1.5" to 2". Thanks

9. cliegal macrumors member

I got that case. It fits the Air 2 perfectly. I liked it so much I ordered a second, a red one from Amazon, for a change of pace.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is there a lock on the swivel or does it flap around? I like to swing the front flap all the way to the back of the iPad, is it comfortable to hold it like that?

11. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

No, no... it's less than 3/4 of one inch thick.
    There's no swivel function on the Ridge. But Devicewear does make a swivel case.

Yes, the smartcover folds back flat against the back. This is the function I commented about in the review of it needing some time to break-in/get a good crease. You can see in photo #3 above.

12. nepats81 macrumors newbie

Im glad to see this. I have the Devicewear ridge for my IPAD Air and was hoping the case would be good for the Air 2. I'll probably pick up my Air 2 this weekend, and order the case online.

13. ibarnett macrumors regular

ibarnett

Received mine yesterday. Very impressed.
    FYI measures 1/2" as above.
    Cheers