The Dictation feature on the iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Jun 11, 2017.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

It has been quite a while that I am using an iPad but never used this feature extensively so didn't bother to find about it but now I think I am liking this feature can anyone confirm this, if I use the dictation feature (attached is the screenshot) on the keyboard while typing anything it doesn't like at a stretch takes dictation, after about a while, after about having spoken lets say 60 odd words it stops. Can anyone confirm this can any of you guys try to use the dictation feature and speak at a stretch and see for how long does it take the words ?

image.jpeg

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It times out after a while. In my experience it seems to only time out if there's a period of silence, but I guess I've never tried to dictate for a full minute; I usually do it in short bursts that are a sentence or two at a time.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Exactly it times out after a while not just when there is silence even if I keep talking, after a while it times out. So I guess it is useful for short one or two line sentences not for like a paragraph !

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Can someone else also please try this and post it here ?

5. Legendts macrumors regular

Legendts

Yes tried it on mine and same thing. Didn't time it but it was less than a minute to timing out.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok so you are saying you went on speaking and within less than a minute it time out ? You were continuously speaking till it timed out ? is it ?

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I will have to agree with the others. However my biggest gripe with this is that it doesn't always post the correct word I am using but somehow messes up once in a while, and I have to go back over and proofread it more often than I would like to. Like I'm doing now, I have to go back over again and see if anything needs correction. On this post I had to make one change. I'm at English speaker and I think I don't have problems pronouncing my words correctly.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Out of curiosity, are you dictating the way you type your posts? You're not using much punctuation. I don't know if Apple implemented a feature to shut off the dictation if it thinks someone just left it running, which would mean that it's just capturing someone who is speaking without intending to dictate. In theory that'd be a useful feature... but it's more likely that it just times out after a certain period of time, regardless. Unlike professional dictation software, the dictation built into operating systems now is largely designed for brief one- or two-sentence dictations. Perhaps it'll change in the future.