Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Ain't that the truth because they don't have a reason

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to be able to have every bell and whistle out there. I'd love for the code to be leaner and meaner and better. I hope everyone complains to Apple to get it fixed.

In the meantime, we have to do whatever works best.

Reactions: pat500000

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Sorry, but with Apple, "good enough" is not good enough. If you think it's fine that these performance issues are still in iOS because most people won't see them, you don't understand Apple well.

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."
-Steve Jobs​

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry, but with Apple, "good enough" is not good enough. If you think it's fine that these performance issues are still in iOS because most people won't see them, you don't understand Apple well.

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."
-Steve Jobs​
There are the ideals and what is strived for, and then there's reality. Apple has never really been perfect, and at various times has been better than other times, and at other times worse than other times. Sure, they should strive for being better as much as possible, it doesn't mean that they always will be. And, sure, it doesn't mean that everyone should be happy about it all, but a dose of reality should be factored into it all nonetheless.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
There are the ideals and what is strived for, and then there's reality. Apple has never really been perfect, and at various times has been better than other times, and at other times worse than other times. Sure, they should strive for being better as much as possible, it doesn't mean that they always will be. And, sure, it doesn't mean that everyone should be happy about it all, but a dose of reality should be factored into it all nonetheless.
Enough with this "reality" excuse. There was a time in reality when quality was stressed hard as Steve's quote shows, and the products reflected that. Apple isn't a startup. They have set high bars for themselves. It's not a fairy tale that Apple was known for having better quality than any other company, it was reality. I don't need a dose of it because I already know it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Enough with this "reality" excuse. There was a time in reality when quality was stressed hard as Steve's quote shows, and the products reflected that. Apple isn't a startup. They have set high bars for themselves. It's not a fairy tale that Apple was known for having better quality than any other company, it was reality. I don't need a dose of it because I already know it.
Reality isn't an excuse, it's just is. People can dislike it or disagree with it but that doesn't change what it is or that we still live in it nonetheless. Apple can be better, and could always be better. They still make many products that many people find of high quality. Again that doesn't mean they don't drop the ball here and here and that they can't or shouldn't do better, but the rosy utopian perfection that some people frame Apple in and judge against isn't one of reality since even on better days it still didn't apply to Apple as it really doesn't apply to any company out there.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Reality isn't an excuse, it's just is. People can dislike it or disagree with it but that doesn't change what it is or that we still live in it nonetheless. Apple can be better, and could always be better. They still make many products that many people find of high quality. Again that doesn't mean they don't drop the ball here and here and that they can't or shouldn't do better, but the rosy utopian perfection that some people frame Apple in and judge against isn't one of reality since even on better days it still didn't apply to Apple as it really doesn't apply to any company out there.
Again with putting "perfection" in my mouth when I never said it. You're disagreeing with me over something I'm not even saying. You actually agree with the only thing I said.

Reactions: dk001 and sanke1

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
My screen looks ugly when I do. /s
It's function over looks any day.
Some people would rather not turn off their good looking things and complain about the stutters, or so it seems.
I mean..don't you prefer function over looks? I mean...it's not like iOS is about to enter in a fashion show.
But why should I even need to compromise the visuals when iOS 9 gave me near ZERO added functionality over 8.4.1 and 8.4.1 had smooth animations with both options off.
Again,I find RT absolutely terrible and horrible to look at.Even on my old iPad Mini which is slow as **** I still don't turn on those options even when the tablet flies with it on

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But why should I even need to compromise the visuals when iOS 9 gave me near ZERO added functionality over 8.4.1 and 8.4.1 had smooth animations with both options off.
Again,I find RT absolutely terrible and horrible to look at.Even on my old iPad Mini which is slow as **** I still don't turn on those options even when the tablet flies with it on
It obviously isn't that bad for you, the posts not withstanding. If it were, you would turn off RT. You would rather have a pretty screen than a fluid experience, which for you, at this point in time is where it's it...for whatever reason a minority of people seem to be affected.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You honestly think there is no functionality added by iOS 9?

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
You're asking why? You don't need to ask why. I'm talking about people who prefer function over look. If you prefer visual...then that's gravy. You really don't need to ask us why because it's your choice. To me, I prefer function over visuals. IF only apple engineers and QA staff take time to understand what people are going through with their phones...maybe then...it could vastly improve without compromising.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You honestly think there is no functionality added by iOS 9?
It doesnt to ME because most of the updates to the built in apps provided features third party apps already had

Notes?Evernote had it all since Day 1
Maps?Apple Maps is terrible and Google Maps wipes the floor with it
Mail?Outlook App is better than it in every aspect
Smarter Siri?Still doesnt match Google Now on iOS in pulling out all my orders from my email,favorite articles from my web history etc

Only thing it adds is productivity functions for iPad Air 2 which I concede

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesnt to ME because most of the updates to the built in apps provided features third party apps already had

Smarter Siri?Still doesnt match Google Now on iOS in pulling out all my orders from my email,favorite articles from my web history etc

Well if the measure is what it is to you, then the measure of lag and stutter issues could in the same manner be what it is to someone else, and to someone that doesn't notice those things it means that they therefore do not exist (like the new features essentially don't exist to you).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Again with putting "perfection" in my mouth when I never said it. You're disagreeing with me over something I'm not even saying. You actually agree with the only thing I said.
Perhaps the actual word might not have been used, but quite a bit of what has been brought up and said certainly describes it or alludes to it as being the expectation.

Reactions: broken202

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
iOS 8 had all the functionality I needed AND it was fluid as well.

8.3 had the best mix of performance and a good music player.

iOS 9 gave me a new font, stutters and a slightly better version of the music app from 8.4

Wish I could go back to 8.3.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010

Why are you arguing with those chosen 1-2 members? They will put words into your mouth and try to discredit you. They argue so much to the point at which they themselves don't know what they are arguing against. :p

I myself have accepted defeat. Immediately I noticed that lag/stutter doesn't exist on any iDevice. I have seen the light and now even iPhone 4 is butter smooth on iOS 7. I have even started to think that current iPhone 6S and Air 2 are more smooth than needed and my eyes cannot keep up with the sheer amount of fps. More lag/stutter needed!

Reactions: DarkRas and dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why are you arguing with those chosen 1-2 members? They will put words into your mouth and try to discredit you. They argue so much to the point at which they themselves don't know what they are arguing against. :p

I myself have accepted defeat. Immediately I noticed that lag/stutter doesn't exist on any iDevice. I have seen the light and now even iPhone 4 is butter smooth on iOS 7. I have even started to think that current iPhone 6S and Air 2 are more smooth than needed and my eyes cannot keep up with the sheer amount of fps. More lag/stutter needed!
I'm with you o_OI stand defeated. My phone is a laggy, stuttery mess and thanks to this thread I woke up and filed a million bug reports. The champions of making apple safe for the world have been right all along with my eyesight being in denial.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You don't use any Apple apps? Wouldn't you be better served with a Nexus 6P? No joke, not trying to deflect. Android is at a point where I honestly think you'd be happier with the 6P.

Reactions: I7guy

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
"Maybe Apple should make all of their future iOS devices out of glossy plastic instead of metal and glass while they're at it. After all, the average consumer won't care, therefore there's no reason to get angry at them if they abandon high quality materials. They'll just be making the products objectively worse, but again, everyday people won't care! The phone will still get the basic things done. If they do care, they can just stick a case on it and they won't have to worry even if the case makes the phone ugly. It's just a phone!" /s.

There's your analogy of iOS 9 performance and having to use Reduce Transparency as it would be to Apple hardware.

If Apple is not going to be excellent just because not every user is a power user with high expectations, then what is Apple for?

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"Maybe Apple should make all of their future iOS devices out of glossy plastic instead of metal and glass while they're at it. After all, the average consumer won't care, therefore there's no reason to get angry at them if they abandon high quality materials. They'll just be making the products objectively worse, but again, everyday people won't care! The phone will still get the basic things done. If they do care, they can just stick a case on it and they won't have to worry even if the case makes the phone ugly. It's just a phone!" /s.

There's your analogy of iOS 9 performance and having to use Reduce Transparency as it would be to Apple hardware.

If Apple is not going to be excellent just because not every user is a power user with high expectations, then what is Apple for?
Just thought I'd point out that excellent and perfect are essentially synonymous in this kind of context.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Just thought I'd point out that excellent and perfect are essentially synonymous in this kind of context.
No. "Excellent" has a definition. Stop extrapolating to find a reason I'm wrong. If you have to stretch like that, it's because you don't disagree with what I'm actually saying.

You're trying to catch me on cheap technicalities. How about a real argument against Apple trying to give the best quality they can and excelling over their past products and competing products? Do you think Apple should stop making metal phones? That's what they would have to do in hardware to match the quality decline that their software has had.

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No. "Excellent" has a definition. Stop extrapolating to find a reason I'm wrong. If you have to stretch like that, it's because you don't disagree with what I'm actually saying.

You're trying to catch me on cheap technicalities. How about a real argument against Apple trying to give the best quality they can and excelling over their past products and competing products? Do you think Apple should stop making metal phones? That's what they would have to do in hardware to match the quality decline that their software has had.
Seems like I'm not the one splitting hairs and going down the path of technicalities. I'm simply pointing out what you are saying as you say it and then at the same time backtrack from it. In any case, it's all right there and the point has been (self-)made.

Reactions: Jayderek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.