Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was iOS 8 really an unstable mess? I've had my air 2 since last November, I really do not recall it crashing or being unstable on any of the versions of iOS 8. The Air 2 was a beast of a performer out of the gate. I've spent about 10 months using it with an iOS 8 version and now about 2 months using it with a version of iOS 9. Its crashed about same number of times now, zilch.
For many there were more serious issues (mostly on stability and functional side along with some performance) with the initial versions of it it in comparison to animation stutters.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This argument is old. I don't care how many phones Apple sells. I give two hoots if it sells 5 billion devices in 1 hour. I don't follow the herd, all I care about is MY experience with device.
Exactly .... and MY experience with iOS 9 is just marvelous.

When iOS 10 comes out next year, they're going to tell you how iOS 9.X.X was so much better and then have a video that shows a couple regressions and tell you everything is like that. Because the last release is always better than this one.
I could bet on that. An easy win.

There are a ton of crap videos all over the Internet.How many should I post?
fixed for you.

I bet you don't even know what a frame drop is.
Sure, dude.
Being a developer (once called programmer) since 1990 I have a lot of things to learn, like what a frame drop is ....

Last edited:

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Exactly .... and MY experience with iOS 9 is just marvelous.

I could bet on that. An easy win.

fixed for you.

Sure, dude.
Being a developer (once called programmer) since 1990 I have a lot of things to learn, like was a frame drop is ....
A good developer wouldn't say "who cares about the frame rate".

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
You say that as if its hard to spot.Theres been many instances when even when scrolling the apps on homescreen after quitting certain apps there is a stutter while I scroll.If iOS 9 performs similarly or worse than iOS 8 (which it does) Apple failed at this update because performance is one of the highlights of this update.If you subtract performance you end up with the notes app,an improved Siri and stability,Some of which functions ,third party apps already gave me.iOS 8.4.1 was the pinnacle of fludiity.You keep saying Stability but it was NOT as bad as you make it sound.So should I say you were into the finer details of iOS 8.4.1 with all your stability issues with it?

the intelligence features in ios 9, the improved safari, and better battery life are all massive improvements in iOS 9 and I would never downgrade to iOS, 60fps or not.
speaking about a perfectly smooth UI, yes I would..

Ok I'm in the camp that doesnt care about all this Metal fuss. Because to me it's borderline OCD. But I can objectively say that iOS 9 is not as smooth as iOS 8 in a lot of places.
Your use of the word 'perfectly' is an exaggeration.

Reactions: I7guy and Act3

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
the intelligence features in ios 9, the improved safari, and better battery life are all massive improvements in iOS 9 and I would never downgrade to iOS, 60fps or not.

Ok I'm in the camp that doesnt care about all this Metal fuss. Because to me it's borderline OCD. But I can objectively say that iOS 9 is not as smooth as iOS 8 in a lot of places.
Your use of the word 'perfectly' is an exaggeration.
Yep, it was an intended exaggeration.
There isn't such a thing like a perfect UI, but I can't see iOS 8 any better than iOS 9. Quite on the contrary iOS 9 is better than iOS 8 in almost every aspect.

Reactions: I7guy

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Google also made the phrase "janky" popular, when they were battling it with Project Butter introduced with Jelly Bean. So "stuttering" and "jankyness" can be used for describing a non 60 fps performance.
It's comforting to know you're not about to let a thread exist without involving Google in a rather odd way, for questionable purposes.

After I read the OP's opening post my thoughts were about crediting the author for a well thought out, well expressed topic.

Then you came along to add a made up word... :eek:

Reactions: februarian

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Ofcourse iOS 9 is OK for the most part. It's very stable, does not crash and hardly has any bugs or weirdness. However, the UI is less smooth and there are two main reasons why people are upset with the frame rate issues:
1. iPhone 5, ancient device, does not have these issues and is actually smoother than the 5s or 6 (I made a side-by-side slomo video that proves that the iPhone 5 uses more frames in the same time to render animations)
2. Apple actually promised improved smoothness, and not reduced smoothness:

Those two reasons are really frustrating to bear for a lot of iPhone users, myself included.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yep, it was an intended exaggeration.
There isn't such a thing like a perfect UI, but I can't see iOS 8 any better than iOS 9. Quite on the contrary iOS 9 is better than iOS 8 in almost every aspect.
Lol.Thats a blatant lie.Download Xcode Instruments on Mac.iOS 9 consistently runs at a lower fps than iOS 8 on the same hardware.Subjectively to some it's an improvement but objectively and factually it runs worse

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Lol.Thats a blatant lie.Download Xcode Instruments on Mac.iOS 9 consistently runs at a lower fps than iOS 8 on the same hardware.Subjectively to some it's an improvement but objectively and factually it runs worse
Did we ever figure out what's behind the missing spaces after punctuation?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use Swiftkey so maybe thats it?
A third party keyboard was a possibility that crossed my mind. Strange that it wouldn't automatically add spacing after punctuation, unless it's perhaps a setting of some sort (which should likely be enabled by default thigh). Just a curiosity (as off topic as it is).

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Can you make a screenshot or video that shows this difference?

februarian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
You're welcome! My only job here was to help people form their OWN opinion based on facts & actualities and not impose one. I'm happy that I was able to accomplish that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lag, stutter, glitches, bugs, crashes, and other various defects all roll into two things: Is it usable and Does it affect my use.

Usable? Yes. :rolleyes:
Affect my use? Yes. :(

Any way I look at it, iDevices are no longer the stable usable devices they once were.

februarian - thanks for the definitions. :)
Useable - sure
Affect my use - no.
Do they exist on my idevice: 6s in Siri/control center. iPad 2: no. iPhone 5s: no. iphone 6:no.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Again, I DON'T CARE about a lower frame rate in some occasions.
It's not a game, it's an operative system.
iOS 9 is BETTER in every aspects. It just has, in its 9.1 iteration, a lower frame rate in some animations.
Who cares ?

februarian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Again, I DON'T CARE about a lower frame rate in some occasions.
It's not a game, it's an operative system.
iOS 9 is BETTER in every aspects. It just has, in its 9.1 iteration, a lower frame rate in some animations.
Who cares ?
Apparently many do. If it doesn't affect you, it doesn't mean it doesn't affect others. You can differ on opinion but you cannot contest the facts. The fact remains iOS is not the perfect OS it once was. On the metric of smooth user experience, it has taken a long long fall, believe it or not!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apparently many do. If it doesn't affect you, it doesn't mean it doesn't affect others. You can differ on opinion but you cannot contest the facts. The fact remains iOS is not the perfect OS it once was. On the metric of smooth user experience, it has taken a long long fall, believe it or not!
iOS was never a barometer of perfection, to me anyway. The same pattern and discussion's repeating itself since iOS 5; with people saying exactly the same thing 5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.